Tinnitus and Audiogram numbers

Discussion in 'Support' started by MADMAX, Apr 6, 2014.

1. MADMAX
      Wishful

MADMAX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Yesterday when doing some tests online with some friends and I've noticed that in fact my hearing was not as good as theirs. We are basically the same age, however the results were quite diverse and I noticed that my hearing was the worst. It would be nice to know between our tinnitus community how in fact hearing loss in terms of audiometry plays a factor role in associating tinnitus exclusively with some loss in certain freqs.
      My last audiometry results taken a few months ago were:

L: 125hz -5db 250hz-10db 500hz-5db 1000hz-5db 2000hz-5db 4000hz-10db 8000hz-5db

R: 125hz -10db 250hz-10db 500hz-5db 1000hz-5db 2000hz-5db 4000hz-5db 8000hz-5db

During this next week I'll update with the test I did last week.

I wonder if you all can put yours just to see the relationship between the loss and the T intensity and or distortion level.

2. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      8000Hz ~35db. At first I was scared of this result, but several doctors said this is quite normal for a male close to 40 years old.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MADMAX
      Wishful

MADMAX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Hi Sound Wave,

What about the other fequencies? Can you depict them here? How do you describe your T? Do you suffer from distortion? What are your symptoms?

4. Anton

Anton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Audiogram numbers can vary from time to time. My tests show different results most of the time, every half a year or so. In Jan. this year I had slightly worse results on the ear with tinnitus than the the one without T. In March they showed better than the right ear (without T). Many factors can temporary reduce hearing, sort of conductive hearing loss.

5. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Yes, I can hear above 8KHz. Probably around 12KHz with my good ear and 10-11KHz with the T ear. Standard audiograms just don't measure above 8KHz. I don't know what's the db reduction with those higher frequencies. I don't think I suffer from distortion. My T is weird... general high buzz mostly in the left side but sometimes also in the middle of the head + a fluttering 'whistles' of high pitch sound in the left ear.

6. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      MadMax. Looks like perfect hearing to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MADMAX
      Wishful

MADMAX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Lisa88,
      Wait until I post the ones I did last week:unsure:... This was before noticing distortion in speech...at the end of the week I'll posted as soon as I received them. I rather had a bad audiogram but no symptoms like of people that sometimes of losses in high frequencies of 40/50 db without any complaints!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MADMAX
      Wishful

MADMAX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      As promised, here are the average of my three latest audiograms

L: 125hz -10db 250hz-10db 500hz-5db 1000hz-5db 2000hz-10db 4000hz-10db 8000hz-10db
      R: 125hz -15db 250hz-5db 500hz-5db 1000hz-10db 2000hz-10db 4000hz-5db 8000hz-10db

Some slight changes that may be responsable for my decrease in speech understanding. Neverthless the Drs say that its impossible to have my symptoms with this results...

9. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      So your hearing is within the normal range... but if your Dr thinks it's impossible to have your symptoms with those types of results, then what's his explanation? Did he offer any type of insight at all?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MADMAX
      Wishful

MADMAX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Not really...doctors don't know much of the nature of distortions and tinnitus...

11. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Most people who get tinnitus soon have a audiogram done. On another forum I once asked at what DB hearing loss did you first notice your tinnitus. Answers ranged from 0 DB loss to as high as 95 DB loss.

There is no fixed range of loss at which tinnitus first appears. It can appear without any loss or never appear at even extreme loss.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. jchinnis

jchinnis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1989
      I don't see anything in the new audiograms that would explain why you have more trouble understanding speech. Some people have hearing deficits that have nothing to do with the faintest sound you can detect, which is all an audiogram measures. An audiologist should be able to describe other tests and other types of deficits.

Jim

• Agree Agree x 2