Tinnitus and Brain Function — Can Tinnitus Cause Muscle Twitches and Other Neurological Issues?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Colestellar, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Colestellar

Colestellar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, anyone know effects of tinnitus on the brain? Since having tinnitus for 2 years now, I am having muscle twitches and other neurological issues. Just wondering the extent of other symptoms that tinnitus can cause on the brain. Can tinnitus cause all this and other neurological issues? Electric shock type feelings here and there muscle twitching etc... let me know your thoughts. Take care.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      I believe it has more of an effect on the brain than we understand. I have noticed before when in about 4 months a small bit of not remembering things. Which wasn't like that before tinnitus. Also some days it felt like my balance was off, but that could have been ear infection.

But prior to all of this for over 6 months I had EHS and that was like the beginning of memory trouble. Then the tinnitus brought all the memory and balance issues back. But what helped was hearing aids they have made my hearing more clear and my brain has adjusted to hearing again although the tinnitus is still there but not like it was. So I think tinnitus plays a strong part of what you are experiencing.

3. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I have brain zaps and muscle twitches. But I presume they are from the anti-depressant I take.

Do you take medication?

I'm sure tinnitus must affect the brain though. How couldn't it?

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle twitches are commonly a sign of being magnesium deficient, which can be induced by prolonged stress

Tinnitus by itself doesn't necessarily have cognitive correlates (at least, not any that have been mapped) but it's a symptom which can commonly occur alongside other problems. If you haven't been checked out by neuro you probably should be, though the end result might be a normal EEG and advice to try to relax. They could rule some more worrying things out, that's about it.

5. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Tinnitus can be a symptom of brain issues, like a tumors... so you should research the cause... but watch those darn MRIs. (Not to freak anyone out mentioning “tumor” sorry).

6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I dont think anyone in this world can accurately answer that question.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Colestellar

Colestellar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been taking magnesium for some time and no help with the twitching. It is all the time day and night. Not painful just annoying. I have the tinnitus only in my right ear for 2 yrs now. I know it has effects on the brain in a negative way just wondered if anyone else experiences the twitching. Eyelids especially. What a sentence tinnitus is.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Colestellar

Colestellar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      And for the one reply no I do not take any medication. Omeprazole for heart burn but that's it. Thanks

9. GaryTH
      Panicky

GaryTH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure, stress, NSAIDS, eabuds, shingles vaccine
      I've had my left eyelid twitching for the past week and a half. I've had tinnitus and hyperacusis for the past 6 months. My ENT says it's just from insomnia induced anxiety and should resolve once I start getting good sleep. I don't know when that will be. I'm too scared of the sleep meds that work, and everything natural doesn't.