Tinnitus and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Support' started by mike, Apr 14, 2012.

tinnitus forum
    1. mike

mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 1/2 months
      Does anyone have both of theses and if so how do you manage both of theses at the same time.

2. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Mike, I have both. I got the diabetes first, then a few heart attacks, cancer, then I had to have open heart surgery on May1st. Then just as I am healing from the surgery I get the tinnitus. guess what I am trying to say is I am just glad to here, with the noise all that tinnitus causes.

I deal with T like I do the diabetes, it is something I have, and I really don't have much say so, I just made up my mind literally to not let this have any power over me and I can learn to live with it. The T may go away, it may not. either way you have to be stronger than the condition you are dealing with.

Are type one or type two diabetic?

I am type two taking pills and insulin...

3. mike

mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 1/2 months
      I am taking pills and Victoza . Type 2 diabetes. This week marks 6 months now and i am not handling it very well. I have to take pills at night just to sleep.For about the last 3 months I was thinking it was getting a little better but the last 3 weeks it has been raging.

4. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi Mike, nice to meet you. first off your type II can be controlled, that s very good news. I have been type II for 20 years now. Just take you meds, eat right and exercise, and above all do not worry about it, it will only my your blood sugars get higher when you get stressed. You might want to ask your Dr. for something to help you sleep, and also medication for your worry & anxiety, I take a Valium for anxiety, it really does help, takes the edge off. I just took one about an hour ago, T is really bad today. I may wake up tomorrow and it could be back down to a 2-

I have my good days and bad T days too. last few days on a 1-10 scale I was at a 2, then this morning it was back up to a 10+ So I went to the workout center, then went and got a hair cut, threw a load of clothes in the washer, stopped and got something to eat, all the things I would normally do.

Can't let the T run your life.

Is it hard, yes, do you get used to it, also yes. in time you will be able to handle both your T and diabetes. I know talk is cheap, but believe me when I tell you, stress & worry anxiety are your worst enemies with T & D

I try to stay focused on a tv program, crossword puzzle, radio. Take deep breaths through the nose and exhale through the mouth.

As for sleeping, I run two big fans, and listen to a radio talk show program until I fall asleep.

Remember, you are not alone in this, look at all the different posts and replies.

Gary, 65 and balding as you can see lol

5. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Ray Seddon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unprotected hearing damage - highpowered firearm, open-cab tractors...
      Hello everyone. I have had T for a long time and I think I had unknowingly partly habituated myself over the years by using an earphone radio to get to sleep at night - I say partly habituated because T hasn't really bothered me for about 20 years - I knew it was there if I consciously thought about it but I could put it out of my mind. Six years ago I developed Type II Diabetes and went on tablets and a good diet; my BSL was controlled until about six months ago when the BS levels began to get out of control, despite the medication and the same diet.
      That was when I noticed my T had increased in volume dramatically and when I started to search for answers and discovered this site. I recently downloaded several of Steve's masking sounds, put them on two MP3 players so I can run one of them at night and quiet times (all night) on repeat. One month ago I was placed on Insulin for my diabetes and this has once again regained control of my BSL - I now run almost normal BSL, and my T has reduced in volume. Now, I don't know if the reduction in volume is due to my BSL returning to normal, or as a result of the masking - but I don't really care; I am continuing on with the masking (thanks Steve) as it gives me complete relief and I am confident I will habituate in time. I'm just posting this as a discussion in case others have noticed increasing / decreasing volume of T as a response to changes in BSL?

6. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Seems to be your blood pressure and now that your on insulin it should remain back down to your normal level. Masking doesnt usually reduce loudness of T i dont think.. So it was probably just getting your bs back to normal

7. Ray Seddon
      Amused

Ray Seddon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unprotected hearing damage - highpowered firearm, open-cab tractors...
      Yes... some days T is better than others, and those days are when the BSL is a bit higher. But, both are manageable and that's the main thing.

8. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      My gmom has diabetes and when i told her bout my t she was like oh that buzzing thats in the backround? And i was like yeah its mostly noticeable at night or in silence rooms and shes like yeah when im in silence i hear the buzzing and shes 65 and i was like mayb cause of your age related hearing loss and she said that shes had it for so long she cant remember but maybe when she got diabetes it caused it or the fact shes been around loudd noise her whole life but she dont care bout it and she blasts music for a 65 year old and drinks and has fun and never said she had any spikes. Shes a carefree lady and nothin bothers her too much when i got mine she said youl get use to it like it was no big deal and i was like this is the biggest deal i can think of!!!! Lol

9. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I have both... And my diabetes is type 1 so I'm not going to get rid of it at any time soon... Here I am, waiting cure for diabetes AND tinnitus :D Just wondering when that's going to happen! I have insulin pump and diabetes doesn't affect my life too much... Sometimes it's harder to handle and sometimes it's all in control

10. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Sorry to hear you have diabetes also along with your T. Treatments are a commin :)

• Like Like x 1
    11. Serge Rivest

Serge Rivest Member

Tinnitus Since:
      That may be quite significant actually. According to this ENT, there is a link between hyperinsulinemia and tinnitus:
      Kenneth Brookler New York Aug 2015

12. MichaelThompson

MichaelThompson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Tinnitus is a disease causing "ringing in the ears" and affecting approx 50 million adults in the U.S. It creates concentration and sleeping problems in patient. There are no clear causes of tinnitus identified yet, however, long exposure to loud sound is considered as the primary factors leading to this disease. Tinnitus sufferers also have high blood sugar levels and impaired insulin metabolism.

13. Christina

Christina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/15
      I am a recent diabetic and I have noticed that my T gets super loud whenever I eat anything with a ton of sugar. I don't know if that's just coincidence, but it seems that my T, on the whole, is very reactive in general. I have read that there is a correlation between high blood sugar levels and T. I've also heard that weight loss can help T...does anyone have any experience with either of these?