Tinnitus and Hacking Cough...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rhea, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with having a really bad cough and the effect on their tinnitus...

I have had numerous colds in my 11 years of tinnitus and I am well aware they can often spike your t due to blocked Eustachian tubes etc and then when the cold clears t generally settles down again.....but this time I have a cold + a really bad hacking cough that comes in fits and is pretty much uncontrollable...

I had the cough for 11 days now. I am worried firstly as it is so damn loud (although I have been smothering my face with a pillow to dampening the sound when there is one available lol) and also about the internal noise and the pure vibrations running through my ears every time these ridiculous coughing fits come on. The cough is finally on its way out now but my t is going crazy and all the coughing has just left my ears feeling rather crappy...

Anyone had permanent increase of T from a loud hacking cough????

thanks x

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I don't know about your T @Rhea but you should get that cough checked out for its own sake. Maybe your cold turned into bronchitis or pneumonia. Do you hear any wheezing in your chest? Please get checked out.

I have a cough in the spring and autumn because of allergies...but it doesn't affect my tinnitus.

3. Well I am in that boat right now..and yes my ears are horrible atm...T is much higher and ears aren't well. ( I also have H)

4. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      I have had a chronic coughing for years, I have been to many ENT's about it, and there's nothing wrong with me or anything that they can do about it, I just deal with it. Like some of you its worse in the spring and fall when the farmers are working in the fields. I live out in the country and its harvest time right now and my hacking cough is off he charts, Its annoying, but it does NOT have any effect on my tinnitus. The only problem I get is a headache from it at times, but I know what its from, and it doesn't last long. I'm thinking that it could also be from post nassel drip, I get a mild soar throat from it time to time but that goes away to. I would not worry about it effecting your tinnitus, highly doubtful. I hope you get better soon.

Louie

5. stargazer

stargazer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      This is an old thread but I will put my 2 cents in. If you have reactive tinnitus, it would make sense that sneezing and coughing would aggravate it. That has been my experience. I have held a sound meter at my ears during a strong cough and registered 95-100db. I can take one of those during a day without much consequence but a whole day or days of coughing adds up and spikes my T. I plug my ears with my fingers when a cough is coming on, that helps a little bit. Many times when I get a cold (fortunately not that often), I will have lingering cough for about 6-8 weeks.

• Helpful Helpful x 1