Tinnitus Began First Week of June 2020 After Wim Hof Breathing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MrC6688, Jul 25, 2020.

1. John777

John777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wimhof
      I went to the ENT today and he prescribed me Synalar Otic.

He cleaned my ears and told me it should stop with these drops and if it doesn't, he will give me some pills. I believe nothing is going improve based on what I've read in this thread.

Do you guys have tinnitus in both ears?

If yes, press the like button.
      If no, press the agree button.

• Like Like x 3
    2. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Maybe your ENT is a genius and knows something. Try it out and see if it helps at all. I saw an ENT today and all he said is wait. It’s been over 5 months. That’s it.

3. Renfrey

Renfrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/27/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Breath Holds
      For divers, I think it may be a combination of barotrauma (from pressure changes even in shallow depths), and also salt water exposure. Being submerged in salt water for extended periods of time can't be all that great on the ears. I agree that hypoxia doesn't fit, because I don't see any issues with there being a lack of air.

For us, I think it's probably a combination of both hypoxia and barotrauma.

4. Renfrey

Renfrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/27/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Breath Holds
      I hope it works out for you. Let us know how it goes.

Mine is more dominant in one ear. I don't know for sure if it's completely unilateral though. There may be some going on in the other ear too.

5. Renfrey

Renfrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/27/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Breath Holds
      That's all he said?? That's it?

6. John777

John777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wimhof
      My ENT told me that my ears were full of wax and that I shouldn't be doing breathing exercises with such ears. He thinks I have tinnitus because of the earwax and now that he cleaned my ears, it will go away.

7. Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes. Literally.
      My ears have/had zero wax in them. I hope this is your issue but I would be very surprised if earwax is the culprit.

8. Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I doubt the salt water is detrimental. I dived for many ears and never had an issue. More importantly, there are people that spend days in the water when vacationing and don’t get tinnitus. I would think that salt water actually helps with ear issues more than anything, granted as long as there is no perforated eardrum.

9. Renfrey

Renfrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/27/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Breath Holds
      That's whacked!

My ENT did essentially the same thing. After initially describing my condition, his first reaction was literally raising up both hands to mid-chest and shrugging his shoulders. But we at least had a very brief and shallow discussion afterwards.

10. Renfrey

Renfrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/27/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Breath Holds
      Well, I think it's apparent that some people are more susceptible than others under the 'perfect storm' of ambient conditions, timing, and a person's physical condition.

But I don't think we can say that it's just salt water they're diving in. There can also be dirt, sand, bacteria, pollution, and God knows what else swirling around in the water.

11. Renfrey

Renfrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/27/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Breath Holds
      Hey Lukee, didn't you mention somewhere that you're taking Vinpocetine?

I bought some yesterday and took it for the first time last night. The little 10 mg pills looked wimpy to me, so I took 2 at once. I started to feel hot and broke a slight sweat. That lasted for about 2 hours. Then I had the most bizarre and vivid dreams that I've had in a long time. To add, I don't think I was asleep very deep during that time. I also had some moments of sleep paralysis during the dreams.

I actually don't mind crazy, vivid dreams. But I wasn't into the heating up part very much. Now that I know how potent it really is, I think I'll stick to the recommended 1 tablet spaced out 3 times a day. For me, after experiencing the potency and nootropic properties (at least for now, noticeable in regards to the dream state) of it, I think it's an interesting supplement that I'll keep using for now.

The price is right too. 10 bucks for 60 tabs.

What are your experiences with it? Notice anything?

12. Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I only took Vinpocetine for 2 days. I was getting my second vaccine dose so I didn’t want to interfere. I didn’t have any adverse effects that I noticed. Mine were 15 mg per pill and I had 2 spread out in the day. I will try again soon enough as I’ve read that it takes at least a month to receive benefits. I also read on here that Vinpocetine has many dubious suppliers so not all brands are alike in quality and quantity per dose.

Crazy effects though, in a sense you should be happy to get an effect I guess as long as it’s not harmful.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MrC6688

MrC6688 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof breathing
      Hey guys, how's everything going lately?

By the way, has anyone had any luck with Magnesium? I took transdermal Magnesium the other night and in addition to it knocking me out to a good night's sleep, my tinnitus was very low the following morning.

I'd used this brand in particular:

https://www.chandika.com/magnesium-roll-on/

All I did was swipe it on both underside of my feet right before going to bed. I was pretty amazed with the results, I will be doing it again tonight.

Like all of you, I'm still dealing with the tinnitus with some days being better than others. I hope you guys are making progress.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MrC6688

MrC6688 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof breathing
      I believe mine is in both ears but my left ear is definitely more problematic. When I went to my ENT last year he didn't find any wax. I wish that was the cause of our tinnitus, would make things very easy. But I feel like there's been nerve damage or ETD that's been caused. Not to say we can't be cured, but it doesn't seem to be a quick fix. At least not that I've seen yet anyway.

With that said, I'm curious how all of you are doing lately.
      Same here man. My most problematic ear is the left one. And yes, the buzzing in my ear started after the breath hold. When it first happened to me, I had a hypersensitivity to sounds too. A normal sound sounded amplified to me and it was as if I had bat's hearing. It gradually took several months for it to ease up. As for annoying sounds, those sounds don't bother me but I know what you mean. Stuff that used to be ok with me in the past is now painful such as loud rock music (and I'm a guitarist, so it's doubly frustrating).

The high pitched ringing is still here and I'm fighting through it with the rest of you. For me, this sh*t has been going on since June '20. I remember when I told my ENT last year about my Wim Hof experience the first words out of his mouth were, "he sounds like a mentally unstable cult leader". Can't say I really disagree.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MrC6688

MrC6688 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof breathing
      Are you still experiencing pressure and pain in your head when you bend over?

16. Renfrey

Renfrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/27/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Breath Holds
      Mr. C!
      I'm still on a slow, steady course. Thankfully nothing seems to be worsening. The only symptom I have is low grade tinnitus that doesn't go much above 3/10.

Magnesium has been on my daily menu for a few months now. I can't say that I've noticed any marked effect while taking it though. But I'm continuing to use it.

I've been looking more into nootropic supplements lately. I started taking Vinpocetine a few days ago. I felt the effects of it the first night and had extraordinarily vivid dreams, with a lasting ability to remember them. I think I feel it sharpening my mind in general. I think that being off of CBD is really helping that too. I don't want to over-hype it, but it appears that Vinpocetine is a well-studied and effective supplement. Here's a pretty informative site on Vinpocetine and other nootropics.

NOOTROPICSEXPERT

Are you still doing sound therapy? Here's another one you might want to check out, in case you haven't seen it. I just started using it a few days ago. It's pretty cool because you can adjust the frequency to match your tinnitus tone. It has also underwent a research study that has been documented.

ACRN Tinnitus Protocol

Counteracting tinnitus by acousticcoordinated reset neuromodulation

• Like Like x 1
    17. Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey Mr. C, glad to hear from you. The pain and pressure has gotten much better. Of course allergy season is here and that’s not helping but overall it’s much improved. I am still not trying to exert myself for fear of doing further damage.

I take Magnesium every day. Sometimes I used a spray on my neck and around my ears. It may or may not help but I’ve correlated some quieter days to using it. I haven’t tried bottom of feet but that makes sense.

18. John777

John777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wimhof
      The ear drops I used did nothing. I talked to my ENT and he told me to take Betavert (Betahistine) pills. Have any of you tried it?

19. Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I haven’t tried it. If I’m not mistaken it increases blood flow to the ear. Try it out, maybe you end up with a favorable outcome.

20. Kran3050

Kran3050 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing
      When I first got my tinnitus and went to the doctor, she also said there was some earwax. I had it cleared out a few days later but it had no effect on the tinnitus.

Someone said earlier maybe tinnitus can be correlated to preexisting conditions. I did have a pretty bad ear infection as a kid (I was too young to remember it), no idea if that would affect the Wim Hof but who knows at this point. For me, the ringing is just as bad as it was a year ago, some days I think it's even worse but I can't tell for sure, it does bother me most days for sure.

It definitely spikes when I do any vigorous exercise which is the worst thing about it, and especially when it's anything that brings blood flow/pressure to the head.

I haven't tried any supplements/alternative medicines, but maybe I'll try the Magnesium spray.

Where are you guys getting the Saraswati Churna thing? Might as well have a go with that too.

21. Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I bought from a local supplier. It didn’t help me much after a few days of taking it but Maybe it wasn’t the same formulation as @MrC6688. I have tried a few other things since but I think the best has been Omega 3 fish oil like NutraSea. I also get higher tinnitus when doing anything that increases blood flow which is what makes me think that something else might be going on. It could be a perilymphatic fistula, in which case the treatment is bed rest for 3 weeks.

22. John777

John777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wimhof
      Does anyone have vertigo or dizziness?

23. Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @MrC6688 had some intermittently. I had a single episode when I was doing Valsalva in the shower. I think it was more of a vagal response than anything. @John777 are you experiencing either or?

24. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      From what I have googled there is Ellen, a certified practitioner level 3, trained by Hochstatter. You can Google her, she's in your city.

• Useful Useful x 1
    25. Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks!

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MrC6688

MrC6688 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof breathing
      This is where I had purchased mine:

Vadik Herbs, Saraswati Churna, 100 ct
      Hey man, how's everything going! By the way, watch out for that Valsalva maneuver. I was following a YouTube video about 6 months ago (Austin Guo) where he recommends doing a few Valsalva's back to back to heal tinnitus and I got really dizzy and my blood pressure spiked. I can do it once no problem but I think repeating it can cause a spike in blood pressure. At least, it did it for me.
      I had a weird spell of dizziness about 5-6 months ago while doing situps with my feet raised high in the air. It messed me up for about 1-2 weeks. Ever since then I don't do those types of situps and have not experienced that type of dizziness, to the point where the room is spinning.

Check this out:

Karna Purana: Why Ayurveda Says We Should Oil Our Ears

I have also seen this oil being used:

Ksheerabala 101 Oil

27. John777

John777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wimhof
      Nope. Just asking.

28. Zap

Zap Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      lyme - worsened by WHM
      Hey all,

So the muffled loss of hearing in the affected ear has returned which is awesome. I saw an ENT after it had already been improving somewhat. He had never heard of Wim Hof but he said that the hearing loss was probably due to some kind of inflammation caused by the breathing exercise (no news there). He also said that the tinnitus in that ear should go down quite a bit once my hearing returned, which it has, I am happy to report.

So yeah, the tinnitus is still there, but I already had some tinnitus before WHM. It's now back to a "manageable" level versus where it was at before when I first posted (I could be in the middle of a crowded high traffic city street and still hear the ringing). I'll take it I guess. It took about a month and a half for things to calm down to where they're at now.

I now this probably won't give most of you a ton of hope as many of you have been dealing with it for a long time now but I felt like it was important to share. I'm definitely going to to pop in here from time to time to see how things are going for folks.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. Lukee

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MrC6688

MrC6688 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof breathing
      @Lukee, hey man! I'm still here... and still hearing the damn "eeeeeeeeeeee" in my head.

How are you doing? Have you been making any progress?

I feel like part of this is dealing with some type of physical damage or nerve damage that we have to slowly overcome. I've been taking my Ayurvedic supplements but the progress has been slow, as I expected it to be.