Tinnitus + Brain Fog and Modafinil

Discussion in 'Support' started by Krolo, Oct 30, 2019.

?

Do you have brain fog or lack of focus together with your tinnitus?

1. I have brain fog

2. I have lack of focus

3. I have both brain fog and lack of focus

4. I don't have either

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      So here is the thing. After reading reports of tinnitus getting better with Modafinil I took the plunge.

And I must say that the tinnitus itself is a little bit thinner. But my general attitude towards my tinnitus and the ability to focus on the external world and not my inner workings (tinnitus) is just amazing and brain fog is basically gone 100%.

This in turn also has an extremely positive effect on the libido as well so great positives all around.

What I do wonder though is, have any members here tried Modafinil? And also how many have brain fog, tiredness, lack of focus?

• Like Like x 1
    2. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'm interested in Modafinil. Are you still taking it? How long did you take it before your tinnitus improved? What was your dosage? Thanks.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      I will deffo stick with it. It is by far the most interesting compound I have tried. I would say that the most profound effect was the first time I tried it. Later on it still has the same effect I just don't get as suprised of it.

Mind you that I can't guarantee it helps you or worsens your condition since we are all different.

I take about 50mg - 100mg 3-5 times a week.
      Your mileage here can differ here and I would deffo advise starting with 50mg and see what it does for you.

Also I would like to just say that it generally makes my tinnitus thinner but it is still there and mornings and eves are bad as normal and modafinil makes it a bit harder to fall asleep because you basically don't feel like sleeping. But it drives through my brain fog, gives me focus on exterior stuff instead of my tinnitus. Also better libido for some reason.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I take armodafinil (a version of modafinil) to compensate for a bad night's sleep. Half-tablet (75mg) in a moderate case, full-tablet (150mg) in a severe case. Mostly, such bad nights are independent of tinnitus (I had to stay up late, or was worried about something), but of course I also get bad nights due to spikes sometimes. Previously, this caused great anxiety, because I hate that yawning zombie-like useless state from the bottom of my heart. Armodafinil eliminates that so I no longer fear bad nights - which creates a virtuous feedback loop because having less fear also makes for better sleep which makes for less armodafinil consumption.

I don't use it on days when I've slept well.

Overall, I love this substance, it has improved my quality of life more than any other drug had, I regard it as a true medical miracle.

5. DirM
      Pensive

DirM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/TMD
      I originally took modafinil about a decade ago when I was doing super overseas traveling and frequent time zone adjusting and long before I had tinnitus brought on by TMJ. I continued it for the increased concentration and energy - like taking 10 cups of coffee - but stopped after about a year after I decided that it was probably a little dangerous when taken over a long period of time.

Fast forward a decade and I am four years into TMJ which I have gotten down but won't ever get away, and suffering from lack of focus and motivation and decided to try it again, thinking it may make my T go up as a stimulant, but since my T is at a 2/10 most of the time with an occasional 1, that I could handle an uptick.

Much to my surprise the modafinil lowered the T to a 1 most the time. Note that my T is caused by TMJ and a damaged jaw bone, so not like most people. It could be the mood elevation and increased concentration let me ignore it the T better, but I think it did go down. I do take it carefully and in small doses, only a couple times a month at only 50mg, which I can feel the effect for about 3-4 days, the first day still being pretty wired.

I would say to be cautious if using this medicine. It was designed for narcolepsy and then used by the military for soldiers who had to stay up for long periods of time. It increases focus and concentration and usually elevates your mood, so I assume it is like Adderall, although I have never taken that so can't directly compare. I won't take it just for the T, so just see the lowering as a nice add-on when I want to use this for better mental focus.

6. Bobby Sinatra

Bobby Sinatra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ambien Windrawal Suspected
      Armodafinil is bam-bam isn't it? This stuff really works better than Modafinil. I love it but I honestly can't go to sleep even after 15 hours of 75mg.

• Agree Agree x 1