Tinnitus caused by fluid behind eardrum

Discussion in 'Support' started by T Bone, Jan 22, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. T Bone
      No Mood

T Bone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Hi everyone, I'm a 16 year old male, and I have had tinnitus for the last three months, it all started in November when I was sick, one night I was laying on the couch and all of a sudden my ears plugged up, and ever since then I've had tinnitus, I guess it's pretty mild but still enough to annoy me, especially because I'm an athelete and I need to be focused on other things, not my ears. So anyway, I went to my family doctor and it has been found that I have fluid behind my ears that is causing my tinnitus, so my doctor gave me nasal spray which didn't work, my other option is going to probably getting tubes in the eardrum to drain the fluid out. So my main question is will the tinnitus go away after the fluid gets drained?? I am getting very scared about this, and have been having massive depression and emotional breakdowns, which where never a case before this tinnitus, I'm only 16 and I want my life back.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi T Bone , sorry to hear about your T, I don't know much about the t caused by fluid behind the ears, other more knowledgeable members will advise you soon. Read other posts, lots of information here. Hope the t goes away for you, meanwhile protect it from further damage, stay away from loud noises, take supplements, eat healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. T Bone
      No Mood

T Bone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      Ok thanks for the reply.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      If you believe in the Ayurvedic way.....drink a cup of warm milk with half a tea spoon of organic turmeric powder before bed every night. Does help dry up the fluid.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. T Bone
      No Mood

T Bone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      I will try that, at this point I will do anything to get rid of this, I appreciate your replies.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      Try lowering your salt intake. You don't have Meniere's but the problem here is an excess of endolymphatic hydrops which causes fullness/pressure in the inner ear. Endolymph fluid normally is removed by being absorbed by the blood vessels in the inner ear and by being drawn into the endolymphatic sac which then passes the fluid into the blood and lymphatic systems. Endolymph surrounds the hair cells and is continuously changed every 20 minutes. One of the ways to try to control excessive hydrops is by lowering salt intake. Some foods have a really high amount of salt in them especially fast foods. I'm not saying lowering salt intake will definitely work for you but it is worth considering. I've been on a low salt diet for over 15 years. It hasn't changed my tinnitus as the damage was done a long time ago and once the hair cells are dead they are dead but I also had vertigo and other symptoms which are all but gone. Give it a try you have nothing to loose.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. T Bone
      No Mood

T Bone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      It's not in my inner ear, the fluid is only in my middle ear

8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey T Bone: Get the fluid drained out of your ears now. Why Is your doctor waiting? Fluid inside your ear can cause hair cell damage. In the meantime, lowering your salt intake won't hurt. So you said you were "sick" in November when this started, which I assume means you had a cold or sinus infection or something? That can cause fluid build up. In the meantime don't panic... Your tinnitus can very well be temporary. But get the fluid taken care of ASAP.