Tinnitus Caused by Hurricanes?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KaneJ, Sep 13, 2019.

1. KaneJ

KaneJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So here’s my story guys, I’ve had tinnitus for about a year and a half. When it first started was right after a hurricane had passed, my right ear felt plugged gradually getting worse over the next few hours and by the end of the day I had unbearable ringing in that ear.

I’d say that lasted for about 3-5 days and then it went to a tolerable ringing I could live with. I went to a ENT to find out that I had passed the hearing test and that most likely it would fade or get better with time.

So over the next year and a half I pretty much learned to live with my moderate tinnitus.

Well, a week ago we had hurricane Dorian which is the first hurricane to come since it started, few days later I woke up with the clogged feeling in my other (left) ear and slight ringing.

I’m hoping after a few days it’ll go to moderate ringing only like last time and I can live with it and move on.

Has anyone else heard of hurricanes of weather events causing such a thing? Almost too consistent to not be related.

The plugged feeling kind of makes it hard to hear and sounds like I’m talking with my ear underwater which is pretty annoying.

Sorry for any grammatical errors lol.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. oceanofsound26
      Dreaming

oceanofsound26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ, Neck Issues, and Accompanying Postural Deviations.
      It has been speculated that large, rapid changes in barometric pressure can exacerbate tinnitus. At which point, equalizing the pressure in middle or inner ear should solve this (think of what happens to your ears as you descend while on a plane and what you do to solve that problem) or resolving the underlying cause of the "plugged" feeling should reduce or stop the ringing.

What elevation are you living at? Is it normally dry or humid where you live? Hurricanes are heavy (humid), low pressure systems. I moved from the US East Coast living within one mile of the Atlantic Ocean to Calgary in the Canadian Rockies. Calgary (very dry with 30-35F swings in temperature between day and night) has weather events known as Chinooks which bring large daily changes in barometric pressure and humidity as weather patterns rapidly change, especially in the winter. In my case, such events caused migraines, vertigo, and dizziness along with chronic tinnitus that would go away after the weather stabilized again. If you suffer from any of these when hurricanes hit, you may want to see a Neurologist to see if everything is OK in the brain. If you feel pressure increase in your head (and not just your ears) during the hurricane, you may be suffering from increasing intracranial pressure during these events which opens up a few other doors for possible health conditions (though maybe occasional and seemingly unimportant now could gradually become more serious with time).

Once I moved from Calgary back to the States, any occasional tinnitus I head accompanying changes in weather disappeared. But I now have tinnitus again, but it seems likely caused by jaw and neck issues which I will start treatment for here shortly.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      KaneJ

KaneJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I live in outer banks N.C. so generally very high humidity. After the hurricanes the symptoms never went away. The fullness/clogged feeling has went away in my left ear and there’s kinda like a bass sound now, like someone bumping they’re speakers in the distance. If I take my finger and plug my ear it stops.

4. oceanofsound26
      Dreaming

oceanofsound26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @KaneJ - Sorry for the late reply. I have been on a research cruise up to Alaska for awhile and just back last night. The term I was looking for to describe the pressure change in the ear that can lead to T is ear barotrauma (general info - https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322215.php). The Outer Banks in NC is a pretty chill area, flat, and right on the ocean. As I said before usually equalizing the pressure in the middle ear and draining any fluid built up in the ear will reduce the plugged feeling in your ears and reduce or eliminate your T. Based on your follow-up, I am at a loss for what else to tell you or recommend. My T that accompanied weather changes while in Calgary in Canada has baffled docs in both Canada and in the USA. At this point in time, I would explore the possibility of transient ETD and inflammation in and around the ear. If you have not already, start trying this multiple times a day to see if it helps (especially when you get clogged feeling your ears):

20 Second Miracle Technique for Instant...

Also some tips and tricks for combating ETD and inflammation that have helped me can be found here -

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...-—-new-protocols-and-supplements-to-try.6514/

As a scientist, I believe there is an explanation for most everything that occurs in the natural world, so I have earmarked this issue with weather and pressure changes and T for further investigation. If I find anything out, I will let you know.

Good luck with the T moving forward.

5. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      @oceanofsound26

Does cold weather make tinnitus worse? I'm soon to be in -10 to -25.
      I wonder if coming in from the cold into a warm place makes it worse, too (or maybe the opposite)?

6. oceanofsound26
      Dreaming

oceanofsound26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Persistent exposure to cold weather can cause and worsen ear problems and tinnitus. A general discussion of this can be found here - https://www.comprehensiveearandhearing.com/blog/connection-cold-weather-hearing-loss/. I have worked in Greenland, Svalbard, and the Canadian Arctic in temps down to -40C with high winds, but with proper cold-weather gear and taking breaks every 2 hours or so to warm up. Also have surfed in cold waters off Vancouver Island and Denmark in late autumn, and never had problems with hearing. As long as the weather was stable or changed gradually, tinnitus was never a problem. My current tinnitus is caused by neck and TMJ problems.

Take measures to keep your body, head, and ears warm. If you feel fluid building up or condensating in your ear canals, go somewhere warm to air them out and let them dry.

Probably does, although I would wager it would depend on the underlying cause of your tinnitus, what climate you grew up in and are accustomed to, and any prevailing health issues such as allergies and asthma (cold temps usually mean dryer conditions which can both trigger either or both in some people like me).