Tinnitus Didn't Get Worse After Going to Festival

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheGagagirl1234, Jun 14, 2015.

1. TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      For a few days ago I went to a festival with my college (I had no other choice but going) and I was standing as far from the stage as possible. I also used earplugs and they didn't even work properly. The music was loud but oddly enough it didn't affect my T. Why is that? I don't really get it.

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      It is always tempting to try to associate auditory damage and tinnitus. There is an association, of course, but the correlation is not even close to 1:1. By that I mean that there are any number of things that can aggravate tinnitus that do not necessarily represent actual auditory damage. And there are any number of things that can represent actual auditory damage that do not necessarily aggravate tinnitus. And, of course, there are all stops in between. It seems to me from your post that you are falling into the (common) trap of trying to "figure out" your tinnitus. Don't. The only predictable thing about tinnitus ... is its unpredictability!

Dr. Stephen Nagler

3. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      It is always tempting to try to associate auditory damage and tinnitus. There is an association, of course, but the correlation is not even close to 1:1. By that I mean that there are any number of things that can aggravate tinnitus that do not necessarily represent actual auditory damage. And there are any number of things that can represent actual auditory damage that do not necessarily aggravate tinnitus. And, of course, there are all stops in between. It seems to me from your post that you are falling into the (common) trap of trying to "figure out" your tinnitus. Don't. The only predictable thing about tinnitus ... is its unpredictability!

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      It's clearly not 1:1 but tinnitus and hearing loss do not cause one another either. so what is the association you refer to?
      its purely coincidental is it?

5. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I do not by any means consider the association to be purely coincidental. I suspect that there are co-factors involved.

6. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Good on you, girl! You almost sound dissapointed☺ You had a lot of courage to go to a loud environnement for a longer time. You chose to go. (What do you mean 'you had no choice'? )

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      I am not dissapointed, haha. I'm just curious :)
      Well we had to participate to the festival in January and that was before my T started. But it doesn't really bother me anymore because I only hear it when I'm in quite environments. I actually like the sound now and when it is gone in the morning, I get anxious because it's not there. And shortly after that it always comes back. Then I think: Well, it's still there and I'm okay. It's just a sound and it won't kill me. It is my own unique silence.

• Winner Winner x 1
    8. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Wow, good on you ag.ain! But don't put yourself at risk anyway, cause what you like now may change into sth unlikeable. It's sometimes similar for me..I wake in almost silence, but it doesn't make me anxious, only happy and hopeful for the future :rolleyes:

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      Now I wake up with the sound more often, but it's not that bad, it's tolerable, and I can manage to fall asleep again if it is very early in the morning. Do you think that it has gotten worse?

10. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I think that if it had gotten worse, you would know better than me..☺you've just written sometimes it's completely gone, so I don't think it got worse, hm?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      It is not completely gone, I just can't hear it when I'm in loud environments. But sometimes it's hard for me to fall asleep.

12. canyonero

canyonero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma?
      I have never understood what causes my T spikes and I am still perplexed by it. I too have had quite days after being in loud environments.
      Unfortunately I find this to be the case too.