Tinnitus Due to Hearing Loss Caused by Otosclerosis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by J-Ribosome, Aug 2, 2020.

1. J-Ribosome

J-Ribosome Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hello, I am a 38 year old male, husband and father that has been suffering severe tinnitus for around 3 years. My tinnitus is due hearing loss cause by otosclerosis.

I lost my hearing in my right ear at around 15. I was always able to compensate with my left ear which suddenly went about 3 years ago. I can still hear but at a much reduced volume and have to wear a hearing aid at work.

Since then my tinnitus goes through phases of being manageable to unbearable. It seems to get worse at certain times of the day, such as the morning and also seems to get worse seasonally. I have mild hay fever which seems to cause a spike.

I have been prescribed anti-anxiety medication to counter some of the effects. It seems to work on and off. I was also due to have surgery (a stapedotomy) last year to correct the damage to my ears but it was canceled twice after a year on the waiting list, once while I was at the hospital having a pre-surgery physical. I took my name off the waiting list and am now considering putting my name forward again. I am terrified that it might make my hearing worse.

The tinnitus causes me quite a lot of distress but I try to manage it as best I can. It's so goddamn loud at the moment though.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi there,

So sorry this has happened to you.

I understand the dilemma you face.

Have you spoken to others who have experienced the surgery?

3. baz14600

baz14600 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey,

I too suffer from otosclerosis since about the same age as you. I am 20 now and lost most hearing in my right ear at about age 15-16. I’ve so far been able to compensate quite fine with my left ear.

Likewise, I have put off surgery so far in fear that it could make matters worse, especially since I was fine living with the hearing loss. My ENT always spoke very positively of the surgery and the only risk it carries is the 1% chance of total hearing loss. However, browsing online has made me aware of other risks

Just recently I’ve been experiencing a high pitch ringing in my right ear and find it troublesome to live with so far.

At what age did your tinnitus appear? Or has it appeared as severe since 3-4 years ago?

Also do hearing aids provide any relief of tinnitus, being able to hear background noises better?

I made a post today about my experience so far. It’s comforting to know I am not alone experiencing new ringing long after initial hearing loss.

Did you end up going through with the surgery?
      Keen to know how you are travelling a year on from your post.