Tinnitus, Ears and Swimming, Water etc

Discussion in 'Support' started by tweak, Apr 30, 2012.

1. tweak

tweak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/12
      Hi,
      Ok this might be a bit of a stupid question! But it it wise to do water sports in early stages where water can get in your ears. Things like swimming or surfing in the sea not swimming pool etc. I'm thinking its fine unless someone tells me otherwise?
      Thanks

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Normal swimming is at least fine unless you have ruptured/perforated ear drum.

I don't know but I myself probably wouldn't jump in head first though, at least from heights. I've never done that before tinnitus either, so that's just my gut feeling...

Swimming is awesome tho!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tweak

tweak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/12
      Ok I suppose I'm more thinking is it ok for water or sea water to get in the ear. Its a clean beach. No don't have perforate ear drum.

4. sworthi245
      Balanced

sworthi245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/02/12
      Working on a vacation to the beach, and my son and I spend a lot of time at "the big city pool" with a large water slide. Being relatively new to T, I not been through the summer yet.

Has anyone been swimming with T? Does it make your T worse if you get water in your ears? I know there are ear plugs for swimmers that keep out the water, but don't want to deal with another item to purchase (and keep up with) for this scourge. However, I will do what I have to do to keep going and doing with my son.

Your experiences are appreciated. TTFN!

5. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      I sometimes swim. Of course i hear more my tinnitus underwater or with water in my ears but i am not bothered because i know it is just temporary.

6. anderson

anderson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      I'm occasional swimmer. I do not use plugs for swimmers. So far no problem.

7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I merged your thread with an existing one about swimming.

Swimming shouldn't be a problem, and I wish you a relaxing vacation :X3:

8. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Hello everyone!

As means to improve my neck's condition and health in general, I thought about swimming :) I would sign up for 1-2 times a week. I was wondering, does anyone of you use ear plugs while swimming?

I know it's not harmful, but still inadvisable to let water get deep in your ear. What do you think? Do I worry too much?

9. terry123

terry123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      I am swimming daily. I am a newbie to T. I use ear plugs and am having no troubles so far.

10. sworthi245
      Balanced

sworthi245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/02/12
      Thanks, I appreciate your input. I think I will have a great summer with my son!

11. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've been swimming 5 days per week the last 4 years with no issues. I don't wear earplugs while swimming.

This is just my own experience, I don't know whether water or chlorine have any effect on Tinnitus, but I never found such thing googling.

Sometimes there are children in swimming class yelling, or loud music. That's not loud enough to bother me, but I try to avoid it. Swimming is not considered a cause of middle or inner ear infections, but the moist could contribute to outer ear infection (otitis externa). I've done a lot of swimming through the years, and I never had it. I dry my ears with a towel, nothing special.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Swimming is all good, I've been swimming plenty since getting T and never had any problems, have fun!

13. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I forgot... if you dive and feel discomfort in your ears or sudden increase in buzzing, you could have a rupture in your eardrum. Sometimes it hurts, but sometimes it doesn't. It heals on its own on a few weeks. Best is to keep it dry until it does.

14. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Do any of you swim since you got tinnitus? I haven't in like 2 years but that's because I live in Missouri now and I don't have a pool or any pools near me. I was just wondering if it effects tinnitus, I am terrified of getting water in my ears even when I am in the shower. I always make sure to dry my ears out when I get out. I just wanted to know if I should stay away from pools in the future.

15. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I don't swim..so that's easy for me. But I have been protecting my ears from water and keep them dry.

• Creative Creative x 1