Tinnitus Flared Up — Appears to Be Reactive to External Noises

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nathan Grove, May 10, 2019.

1. Nathan Grove
      Cheerful

Nathan Grove Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      So I’ve dealt with anxiety induced tinnitus for the past 5 years or so. Most of the time it’s so quiet that it is unnoticeable but every once in a while I get ‘flare-ups’, and each time it’s a little different and seems to be random.

I woke up this morning realizing that I could only hear ringing in my right ear when noise was being made. It’s fine if all is quiet but if I hear anything (white noise, fan blowing, any noise) it’s accompanied by ringing with the severity worsening the louder the noise. I’ve had this once before about 3 years ago and it lasted a few days but I’m still utterly terrified and anxious which has now led to more ringing in right ear as well as the noise induced ringing.

Each time I have one of these flare ups I’m scared that it will be the one that doesn’t stop. I feel so anxious that I may take off work today.

2. Nathan McAlum
      Hurting

Nathan McAlum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Noise maybe?
      I have this too, whenever there's any white noise present that would normally mask the tinnitus, I hear an added ring to it, it only goes away in total silence... The fridge, sounds on the TV, my fan, wind, rain, all of it triggers this strange new tone that actively flutters with the sound.

Has this gotten any better for you?