Tinnitus for 36 Hours So Far After a Loud Concert — Will It Go Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Katerinah, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Katerinah

Katerinah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hello,

I went to a small loud rock concert two days ago (it's been around 36 hours now) and I can still hear mild ringing. I have experienced this in past but it always went away in about 12 hours.

I can't hear it when I'm somewhere or doing something but if it's quiet it's causing me stress and anxiety (I am usually very over reactive about things like this). It's also preventing me from sleep, both in the evening and in the morning, but I think that's mostly the anxiety.

I work at a loud place with music, so avoiding loud places is off the table for me. I am also from a small country so getting good or unusual vitamins might be pricey and hard to get.

I really hope it will go away but isn't it too late now? I also don't want to go to the doctor, it's hard to go because of my work schedule and I can't take a day off because there's nobody to take my shift.

Thanks for the answers, I really hope I can get some positive views on it and hopefully it will go away.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. CricketEars

CricketEars Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      Don’t stress, my personal guess is that it will probably go away. Try taking magnesium if you can. Best wishes.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2011 - Gaming on headphones. 2020 - Severe by breaking glass
      You have to go to the hospital or ENT, say that you had acoustic trauma at concert because now you have Tinnitus and they will probably give you the steroids. And you have to do it now because in a few days it can be too late for them to help. You have a HIGH chance that it will help you a lot, even resolving the issue because it's been less than 48h.

ofc. It can go away itself but your chance is A LOT lower this way than with professional medical help and higher that it will be permanent, why not help yourself? I know that it sounds bad and scary but I'm saying it this way because really, give yourself a chance and see a doctor. A lot of us made a mistake by not going to the hospital / ENT and here we are waiting for a miracle cure or treatment for years.

YOU ARE MORE IMPORTANT than the job you're doing. Really, always. Job is just a job in the end. What you're experiencing now is a wake up call, you're hurting yourself by not using ear protection at concerts and when it's loud at your job. You need to act accordingly, change something and GO SEEK MEDICAL HELP NOW.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katerinah

Katerinah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I really don’t have a chance to go until tomorrow morning, because every clinic closes around 3pm and they will hardly take me at the emergency... will it be too late then? (it’ll be about 60 hours when i get the chance to go)

5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Go get the steroids. NOW.

6. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The sooner the better, if it's as fast as you can then it's better than not going at all.

I don't want to be a judge because i don't know your situation, in my country with emergency like this you can just go to the nearest hospital and they are 24/7 (or another one if they can't help you there)

Just seek the medical help ASAP, by any means.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katerinah

Katerinah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I’ll try to go to the hospital on my way from work, but i highly doubt they will give me meds for something so minor. The healthcare is free here but shit, i’ll most likely wait for several hours just to be sent home with them telling me to rest.
      I’lo go anyways, there’s still a chance it will be helpful

8. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      There is nothing minor about acoustic trauma and Tinnitus.
      It needs to be treated with same kind of urgency as a stroke or a heart attack.
      Tinnitus can literally destroy your life and take away everything you ever worked for in a very short time frame

Do not take no for an answer from those people.
      It might not seem like it now, but this is the mother of all emergencies.
      GO NOW!!!

This could be the most important decision you had ever made.

9. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's not minor, my life is destroyed.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katerinah

Katerinah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      thank you everyone for your help❤️ i’m currently in the ER waiting, i will insist to get the steroids and hopefully it’ll be my last time on this website
      wish you all best luck x

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Report back later how's it going!

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katerinah

Katerinah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      yeah they sent me to hell and i need to come in the morning for the examination

13. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What?...

I would try another hospital if it's possible. Like, what's wrong with these people? Or maybe private doctor appointment (it's popular in my country)

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katerinah

Katerinah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I called to the biggest hospital here and they told me to come in the morning too... and private clinics are closed around this time. It sucks, i would be willing to pay but i have no other option than come in tomorrow

15. Snake
      Heartbroken

Snake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well tomorrow is still better than nothing, you're doing something! At least you have all the options prepared for tomorrow and you can try every one.

Sadly it's common that doctors don't give a thing about us :( it's common. That's why I'm here :(

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katerinah

Katerinah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Very true, I just hope i can get some help tomorrow and won't be sent home with nothing. Thanks for all your help, I'll post an update tomorrow :)

17. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      If only it was seen that way by medical professionals. Sadly it is not. Having said that there is really nothing they can do

18. DanielJ

DanielJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      In my experience it can take up to a week for ringing to fade. I have a baseline tinnitus which always goes up if I have been out to a loud venue, it always goes back down though, i'm sure you will be fine.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katerinah

Katerinah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      They did the examination today and gave me steroids for 4 days and some meds to increase the bloodflow. Hopefully it will be gone until friday so i don’t have to worry anymore :) they were so much nicer than people in the ER yesterday!
      I’m definitely gonna wear earplugs from now on to similar events, i’ll post a reply of my progress in few days

• Like Like x 1
    20. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      More people need to start filing lawsuits for being refused first aid.
      Unfortunatelly that is the only way to get the message across.

Prendisone can save people in the early stages and that needs to be brought to light.

21. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      It would be far better to abstain from such events in the future. Ear damage is progressive. You just had days-long tinnitus which means your ears are getting compromised. Earplugs do NOT provide 100% protection as concerts can be so damn loud that their 25-30dB attenuation just cannot bring the noise down to a safe level.

All of which means that from now on every further concert can be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Maybe you can attend 15 more. Maybe it's the next one that leaves you crying on the floor because you haven't slept for three days because of the ringing.

Take this seriously. You got a warning from your body. You might not get another.

• Agree Agree x 4
    22. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I wouldn't be sure, mine didn't go away after concert 4.5 years ago, it's better to act with steroids asap.