Tinnitus from Azithromycin / Zithromax Antibiotic

Discussion in 'Support' started by Terje788, Jan 18, 2017.

1. BILZER

BILZER Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline
      To those who have posted about getting tinnitus from Doxycycline have you seen any reduction of tinnitus at all? That poison Doxycycline started mine and it has been unbearable for 3 months now.

2. Furetto

Furetto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Are you really sure it's because of Doxycycline and it wasn't just a coincidence?

3. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      Did it go back down?

4. Nick116
      Insomnious

Nick116 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection (2012), Azithromycin (2020), AZ Vaccine (2021)
      It has, though I put this largely down to habituation, it's been nearly 18 months now since I took the antibiotics which did actually clear up my acne Rosacea at the time! There is a silver lining somewhere. I'm used to the new baseline which is mostly high pitched with a very gentle and background modulation sometimes. I found and still do find that mood and anxiety have a huge effect on the level and perception of tinnitus. When you're calm and not paying attention to it, the mind pushes it back out of your day to day conscious. From an 8/9 out of 10 it can easily become a 1/2 on most days.

What I now seem to find is that I get a lot of spikes, even coming back from the gym it can flare up, but I'm used to it now. The latest thing was testing my bloody fire alarms, that caused a spike in the last few days and I've had some rough sleep. I do kinda worry that the spikes will be there to stay though part of me knows that the mind and brain can habituate to it again and again.

I say to all those that have just started their tinnitus journey, hang on in there and better days will come! Also, try masking - I use Aftershokz Trekz Air's which help massively when things get bad :)

5. CDNThailand

CDNThailand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/17/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MP3, Stress, TMJ
      I'm also curious, let me know?

6. MattAlexander

MattAlexander Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lyme
      @Terje788, just wondering if you’ve had any progress with your tinnitus since your last post? Thanks.

7. Nick116
      Insomnious

Nick116 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection (2012), Azithromycin (2020), AZ Vaccine (2021)
      I've had my tinnitus for just short of 2 years now and, while it fluctuates up and down, there is a constant high pitched sound which I've learnt to get used to. It still bothers me occasionally but I don't notice it all the time and I now have to sleep with nature sounds that I play at low volume from an old iPhone (cricket sounds seem to really reduce my tinnitus, it's amazing!). I sometimes even play these sounds in the evening if it's noisy while say watching the TV.

I find alcohol in small quantities can aggravate it sometimes which is really annoying, in large quantities interestingly it has the opposite effect and it quietens it down and even for the following day. I don't advocate this since it's not great for your health. I've recently been drinking Chamomile and Decaffeinated Green tea for my mood, it's a good combination! I also want to try Passion Fruit flower extract.

I keep hoping for some miracle cure with tinnitus but for now I take each day as it comes and I'm much better considering how I was at the start. I hope this helps.