Tinnitus from Meningitis Since Age Three — Do I Now Also Have Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Pelter, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Pelter

Pelter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meningitis
      Hello.

I have had tinnitus since the age of three due to meningitis. It's always been at a certain level and tone. But after all these years so much has changed.

I am now experiencing what I think is sound sensitivity as most sounds are spiking my tinnitus but as soon as the sound stops the tinnitus goes down again. Is this hyperacusis?

I also have facial numbness and ear numbness. Are these part of hyperacusis?

This hyperacusis is new to me. I need to try find coping strategies. Any feedback would be appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Kirstystired

Kirstystired Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I dont have any advice but wanted to say hello. Sorry you have had these issues! This forum really is a life saver.

3. Kendra

Kendra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL/ Acoustic Trauma
      I would definitely see a doctor about the numbness. That’s not normal with just tinnitus. And it would help to get your hearing checked.
      I also have tinnitus (new to me in the past 3 weeks) that spikes with sounds then automatically stops when the sound ceases. I believe it’s a form of diplacusis. Mine seems to be Diplacusis monauralis.

4. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I think it's called reactive tinnitus.

There's a lot of debate about that term and whether it exists or not, but to me, that's stupid. Why discuss semantics when the term "reactive tinnitus" obviously describes well what some people are experiencing?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pelter

Pelter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meningitis
      Thank you.