Tinnitus from Stress/Possible Ear Damage — Canceled Surgery for Fear of Propofol Making It Worse

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by steph33, Dec 31, 2020.

1. steph33

steph33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PTSD with potential underlying inner ear damage?
      Hi all,

I've been reading your posts and they've helped me a lot. I developed hyperacusis in May 2020 and tinnitus in August. I believe it was caused by my prolonged, intense fear and stress surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, including losing a friend to the virus. Though my subsequent hearing test was normal, there was probably some underlying ear hair cell damage from years of riding the loud NYC subway and attending protests without protection (I had no idea these things could damage one's ears; ear health is simply not taught/talked about/promoted in our society).

I actually canceled an upcoming breast reduction surgery that I've been wanting/needing because of all the people who said their tinnitus worsened after undergoing general anesthesia (typically Propofol). I realize the drugs have no effect on some some folks' tinnitus. But the possibility was not something I could risk. Anesthesiologists I spoke with wouldn't acknowledge the connection between Propofol and ear problems even though there clearly seems to be one in patient reports and online platforms. I guess these anecdotes haven't made their way into clinical trials yet. I read that the drugs used in general anesthesia increase middle ear pressure, and one would think that when the drug wears off the effect on the ear would subside, but some people face permanently worse tinnitus. I'm super disappointed about having to cancel the surgery but I couldn't risk it. Anyway, if there are people out there who want to discuss their experiences with general anesthesia and tinnitus I would love to hear from you.

Hoping for a brighter new year for all,

Steph

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Darryl Colebank
      Depressed

Darryl Colebank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown--depression? Hyperacusis and tinnitus
      Hi @steph33.

I had Propofol for colonoscopy last month. My tinnitus and hyperacusis are all over the place. I cannot say that it caused me any more trouble than I already have. My tinnitus started around June 2019. I believe my tinnitus and hyperacusis are the result of many years of stress. I did not have an ear trauma before my tinnitus and hyperacusis started but I sure had insane stress. I had sinus surgery November 2019 and everything got worse. This in when hyperacusis started. I attribute the worsening tinnitus to the stress of the surgery. Never thought about the anesthesia. Stress of tinnitus and hyperacusis top of years of stress = more stress.

I hope you are able to take care of yourself.

Darryl

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      steph33

steph33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Darryl. I'm glad the surgery didn't seem to impact your tinnitus/hyperacusis. Sinuses and ears seem to be very connected. I hope you've found ways to lower your stress--I've heard great things about acupuncture for stress relief and also tinnitus. Guided meditation and calm music also help a great deal.

Wishing you a good new year and good health my friend.

Steph

4. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've had Propofol and many other forms of anesthesia and haven't really had trouble with tinnitus getting worse.

I just was put under with another one, can't remember the name, and my tinnitus is a bit worse. I was defibrillated though and I think that might be the reason. When my defibrillator goes off, my tinnitus flares up. It seems to go back down in 24 hours.

If your breasts cause you pain and make you miserable, I would get the surgery if I were you. If it's just cosmetic, then I probably would not.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      steph33

steph33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @PulsingEar good to know. And agreed--cosmetic is not worth the risks. Thank you!

6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013