Tinnitus, Hyperacusis and Possibly Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hanna Jones, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Hanna Jones

Hanna Jones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Damage
      Six years ago, I believe I damaged my hearing with loud music. No hearing loss or tinnitus, just Hyperacusis, and I've lived with that all this time staying away from loud noises. I've been very sensitive. But lately I began talking to someone on the phone often, which caused me pain and now my ears have since gotten a lot worse. Roaring, hissing, blaring tinnitus , mostly in left ear, that's the worst ear, and I believe some hearing loss. Is it possible I damaged myself further by simply talking on the phone for long periods of time? Keep in mind, I always kept the phone on speaker away from my ear.

2. Filip

Filip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud earbuds music/ear infection
      That's a good question because I too damaged my ears from music

3. Karel
      Tired

Karel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Same thing happened to me. I had moderate T&H for three years, stayed away from all loud noises to prevent exacerbation. Then I spoke on the phone about twenty hours divided over four days, I kept the phone only at my good ear and the volume all the way down. But after a few days I suddenly noticed my T&H got much worse, they're both pretty severe now, and I get earpains too which didn't happen before. I don't know what it is about phones, something about the type of sound they produce, but they're definitely dangerous to (certain) people who have hearing problems, even at low volumes. Another thing that would have been helpful to have been told by a doctor or ENT.. amazing that they don't know these things and we have to find them out the hard way.