Tinnitus, in My Head Not My Ears! >.<

Discussion in 'Support' started by Patrik Lantz, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Patrik Lantz

Patrik Lantz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012-12-22
      Hello! I just recently joined this forum, because well, you all seems like a friendly bunch and i recently became a victim to tinnitus myself. I have a question that i can't seem to find an answer to. X_X

I got my tinnitus a few days before christmas after having a final exam and was listening to music a bit loud, but the thing is, it feels like the sound isn't coming from the ears but from the inside of my head (between the ears), everyone else seems to have their sounds in the ears so i'm just curious if this indicates something. and also, is there anything i ought do while in the early stage of tinnitus? thanks in advance (>='.'=<)

2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Hi Patrik!

For many people with tinnitus, the damage to your ears will result in noises in your head! The explanations are complicated and several competing theories can be found, but most scientists believe that your brain creates the tinnitus sounds from the damage that occurs in your ear, specifically the cochlea. Your cochlea contains cilia (nerve hair or fibers) that transmit sound to your ear. If those cilia become damaged--from noise, for example--they can no longer transmit the sound. The brain, however, is listening for the sound and thus recreates it in the form of tinnitus. This is how I understand tinnitus creation in the brain. There are also many studies which examine the effect of tinnitus on your neurotransmitters and brain waves. In sum, tinnitus is generally a phenomenon that starts in your ears, but ends in your head. Of course, my explanations are over simplified. I'm sure others more knowledgeable will provide additional information.

Regarding medical treatment, you should see an ENT right away. He can see if you've damaged any visibile structures within your ear, but generally people injure their inner ear, which cannot be seen without an MRI or PET scan. (There is also a test called "otoacoustic emission testing," but I don't think it's popular.) I would ask your ENT if you are a candidate for prednisone or an injection of dexamethasone into your ear drum. Ear damage often results in inflammation. If you can stop the inflammation, perhaps you can reverse or limit the damage from noise trauma. There are many references to steroids and tinnitus on the internet, but here's a very general one to begin: http://www.livestrong.com/article/142723-drugs-treat-tinnitus/. Please also consult this board for more information on steroids.

Others on this board have recommended HBOT (oxygen therapy). Please look up these posts. The therapy does help people, but it's important to begin it as soon as possible. There are also vitamins, amino acids, herbs, etc., that do help. If you have trouble sleeping, your might try melatonin. Again, look for information on these boards. There's lots of good things people have already written about.

Most importantly, I believe, is to see a physician. Secondly, make sure you get adequate sleep and don't panic. Over fifty percent of tinnitus cases will resolve within three months. Just make sure you doing everything to help it resolve. When I first got tinnitus, no physician wanted to help me. They said to just live with it. If you find a doctor that won't help you, find another one who will.

Good luck and stay positive!! And no more loud music. Please protect your ears or wear ear plugs!

3. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

Hi Patrik,

My tinnitus has always been in my head and never in my ears. It moves around... sometimes at the back above my neck, sometimes at the top of my head etc. but never in my ears.

If you put your fingers on the Tragus of each ear (see image) and press in so that you block all external noises... and then put each foot down heavily as though walking with quite heavy pressure on each leg... can you hear your ears tinkle - bell like noises?

bells.jpg

I think we have a number of different types of T and ours may be different from those on here who have the noises in their ears.

Jazz is right.. you do need to see an ENT as soon as possible but please stay hopeful... if you have the same type of T as me then the good news is that mine goes away every so often - completely - so I do believe that it will go eventually.

Best of luck

Jane (aka click))

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Jane -- I tried this maneuver several times, and I definitely do not hear any bell-like noises! I have the type of T that I can hear in one ear only (not in the head), and it is constant; it never stops.

I think you're right; those of you who hear the noises in your head, not your ears, may have a totally different type, and cause, for your tinnitus.

Patrik, that could be good news for you. Yours may fade in time. In the meantime, do see your doctor!

5. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thank you for trying it Karen.

I really want to find someone who experiences the same thing - it's so weird!

6. AttackingTinnitus

AttackingTinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      Hi Patrick,

My Tinnitus (T) moves around as well. It moves from ear to ear and what scares me the most is when I feel it in my head, only because it makes you feel like you can't run and escape it. Since it's new to you and I am not sure of your personality such as....are you a nervous and panicky person? If not, then GREAT, you should be able to adjust to this....if not and you get a little panicky, then I must tell you that XANAX 1 mg 2 - 3 times a day will calm you down and help you push the sound to the back of your mind. At least for now until you figure how to deal with it. That is what I am on and I have been having (T) since the second week of June 2012. Boy, do I remember the week because I felt like my life changed since then. I am a VERY nervous, panicky and worrysome person.

If you go to the beginning under the "Introduce" yourself and under the "Support" column you can read about how I got my (T)....that way I don't have to retype it over. I am learning that you REALLY have to get your brain to FOCUS on life and other things and not the T. I know it's easier said than done, but if I've made it thus far....YOU CAN TOO!!!!

Julia

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1