Tinnitus increase and hearing loss in left ear... Help!!!

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Johnnypro, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Johnnypro

Johnnypro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1993
      OK, I've been a musician for 40 years and my basic Tinnitus is probably my own fault. But lately, for a year or so, I've noticed that whenever I work with my head down (ex: on my lawn, cleaning the tub, on my lawnmower, driveway, deck, etc) for more than 15 minutes, I will, about 1/2 hour later get a MAJOR increase in the ringing in my left ear as well as a loss of high pitch in that ear. Up to recently, that would last about 2 days and then go back to normal levels. A week ago, I worked on my lawn for a while one day, and when it got LOUD, it didn't go away. I've been to my ENT doctor just before this last onset, and they did notice a difference in my hearing even when I didn't. Now, as I said, it's much worse and doesn't want to go away. He said he never heard of such a thing, but is sending me for an ABR test to check for a tumor.

Oh and when this is happening, loud noises are very distorted and crackly in the left ear.

Is this all that rare or unheard of??? Is there a way to reverse it?? (Look UP for an hour??) Help!!!!!

Thanx!! JOHN P.

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @Johnnypro -

I cannot shed much light on the positional changes except to suggest that it might possibly be due to a delayed effect from an increase in intracranial pressure with your head in a dependent position.

As far as what happened last week after mowing your lawn, perhaps you are dealing with a threshold shift from noise exposure and the resultant increase in perceived loudness of your tinnitus. Hopefully in time it will correct itself, but in any event please be sure to use adequate ear protection whenever you mow your lawn.

Dr. Stephen Nagler