Tinnitus Is the Result of the Brain Trying, but Failing, to Repair Itself

Discussion in 'Research News' started by ChrisfromCanada, Feb 24, 2017.

1. ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

ChrisfromCanada Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection
    2. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Nueritis, loud music (dubstep)
      But what about tinnitus that comes from cochlear hydrops, lol we all know that's not in the brain it's clearly a phenomenon of the ears. Google it and answer me that..

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See above. What came out of it was a bunch of narrow minded nuerologist thought they cured tinnitus lol

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      It has been noted by Dr Will Sedley (newcastle university) that there is evidence that tinnitus can arise in the brain and / or the ear.

In favour of it being of brain origin is the increase in auditory brain activity as seen on fMRI as well as the act of severing the auditory nerve in some can cause/exacerbate t.

On the other hand, t is noted to often follow acoustic trauma, cutting the auditory nerve in some can improve t, the brain activity correlates with ear activity, and cochlear suppressive drugs can improve t.

5. Newloud

Newloud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music, noise, stress, anxiety
      It's the same guy as in this recent video, Josef Rauschecker. So yeah, I guess they're making progress. I'd put my money on this approach rather than drugs or regenerative efforts.
      Tinnitus: Ringing in the Brain | Josef...

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChrisfromCanada
      Terrified

ChrisfromCanada Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection

I think you are correct @DebInAustralia. Based on my own personal experience having lost my hearing from a ruptured ear drum due to an ear/mastoid infection and now having most of my hearing return and the level of the T going down a lot. I'd say that there is certainly cases where it is related to the ear. I'm 8 weeks in and I'm sure I'm still healing and who knows, maybe it will go away. I have heard cases of people's T going away from ruptured ear drums, infections etc therefor how could that be related to the brain?

7. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      The video is new but the actual research/discovery is almost 10 years old. I was so excited about that video only realize nothing has happened with that information after 10 years.

8. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      So deep brain stimulation is the solution? But what evidence it there that this works on tinnitus?

9. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    10. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
    11. Ian Mac

Ian Mac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tell me does this logic make sense?:

so I cut off my hand and it hurt! but when I went to my hand doctor and showed him he said "SORRY IAN THERE"S NOTHING I CAN DO, YOU SEE THE PAIN IS IN YOUR BRAIN! IM NOT A BRAIN DOCTOR I CANT HELP YOU WITH YOUR CUT OFF HAND"

It doesn't make sense does it, the Hand doctor should help me with my cut off hand because it hurts, but he says sorry the pain is in your brain nothing I can do.

So why do we use this logic with tinnitus? Because nobody wants to address the elephant in the room that doctors know nothing about our ears.

I've asked doctors to cut my auditory nerve, it's not that easy because its actually the vestibu-cochlearnerve. In other words your balance and hearing nerve are woven together making surgery very, um, unsuccessful.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1