Tinnitus is Worsening as Time Passes; What to Do?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eric N, May 6, 2014.

1. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      I have tinnitus now for almost a year and a half and I would have loved to say thing are getting better but it is just not.

It started with one tone then another and another - up to 4 or so now - I would have been OK with all that except for a horrible new symptom that started about a year ago which is a buzzing sound that feels and sounds as if I have a car's engine idling in my ear.

The buzzing at first was off and on but now it has become chronic - it's there 24/7 - once in a blue moon however it will go away completely - 7 days in a row was the maximum it was gone - this does not happen with my ringing tones which never go away.

About three weeks ago for no apparent reason the buzzing has become stronger and harder to mask, it has also become very reactive to certain sounds like people talking and also to touch, if for example when people talk or I touch my outer ear or my eyelids the buzzing would react to that by temporary intensifying. Bending my neck down also seems to temporary intensify it.

I don't understand why I keep getting all these new symptoms, I have done many hearing test and my hearing is pretty good for the most part and I am not on any medications.

Does anybody else have similar symptoms and came up with some kind of explanation?

I am so tired of all this, if this trend with my symptoms continues god knows what is going to happen.

Please only comment if you have something other to say than, it will get better or you are concentrating on it too much.

2. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Do you know what set this new sound off? Is it noise induced?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      I wish I knew, whatever it is I don't think it is noise related, but it worsened too gradual to make any kind of conclusion.

When it came back it the last time I just was sitting quietly browsing the web and I just felt it returning slowly until it reached it full strength.

Sometimes it's gone when I wake up in the morning but when I start going about my day it starts coming back.

I really suspect some other medical condition that is triggering it but I don't know who to turn to for help or what to check for, doctors I have seen are less than useful when it comes to tinnitus.

4. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Hello Eric,

Have you had an MRI or a Cat Scan? Have you had blood work done? My GP tested me for diabetes, thyroid problems and a host of other things. An MRI will show your brain and your auditory canals. Just be sure you have ear protection on during the test. The magnets make a horrendous racket.

Maybe there is a medical condition that can be treated....

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. DanielJP
      Curious

DanielJP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      @Eric N I'm in the same seat. I'm confused why my T behaves the way it does. I've had it for about 4 months, and it's gone worse about 4 times since. Now it's ringing louder and with higher pitch than before, both ears.

As @Kathi says, you should go for some tests. Maybe we both should.

Let's keep our spirit high and keep on fighting T!

6. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      My t has gotten worse too over the 6 months. Buzzing is also my latest one in both ears. How did yours start? Could the change be blood pressure related? Stress? Panic etc

7. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Diet , supplements maybe playing a part ?