Tinnitus Loud Enough to Be Heard by Others!

Discussion in 'Support' started by mrd28s, Dec 22, 2014.

1. mrd28s
      Curious

mrd28s Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2000, severe at 2006, externally audible at 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise damage, machinery
      Does anyone else have tinnitus that is loud enough to be heard externally? Harmonic pain from external pitches?
      New to site, and haven't found any information on this, or anyone sharing theses problems.

I have a rare form of tinnitus that is loud, and has been documented by my audiologist to produce an external sound. (same noise as hearing test) He said I was the first patient in his 23 year history, that he actually HEARD my tinnitus, though he has heard of cases.

I have moderate to severe hearing loss, in addition to a mild cochlear problem of Identifying words. (forgot the term) Along with my hearing loss, I also find that sometimes single or multiple words in a conversation will be missing, or replaced with words that don't fit. (was told that sometimes the mind will automatically try to fill in the blank.)

The documented cause was from work related heavy machinery noise. The largest hearing loss is primarily in the vocal range, and the main frequency of my T is in the same range, continuous in my right ear, and varying frequency and duration (60-90% of the time) in the left. The volume can be anywhere from 30% of normal conversation, to 150% of normal conversation, and can produce external sound from both ears. I have been dealing with it for more than 8 years.

Rather frequently my tinnitus can be heard external. My son has heard my T from two foot away while watching TV, at a volume that I could hear without my hearing aids, (LOUD) and my audiologist at about 50% normal conversation in a quiet room. In addition, out-of-tune harmonic reverberations between an external sound and my T frequency can sometimes be painful, with one occasion caused from different frequencies from different ears.

I would like to know how you would rate this in a volume scale of 1-10. and would like to know if I'm not alone in this!

2. Zam

Zam Member

That's impressive. I should have my Ts tested for being heard externally. I've always assumed that they would be internal but seeing as how I've got a similar unilateral hearing loss (though for an unknown reason, not from machinery), I should have my audiologist test for it next time. Could you record it? That would be a marvel to hear.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrd28s
      Curious

mrd28s Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise damage, machinery
      No longer have a recording, but matches exactly what I hear, like a duette in perfect harmony... minus the pleasantries!

4. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      That´s truly...something else.
      What is the mechanism of producing your external T?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mrd28s
      Curious

mrd28s Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise damage, machinery
      In part that's why I'm here is to try and find out information on it.