Tinnitus Loudness

Discussion in 'Support' started by meeruf, Oct 24, 2013.

1. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      I'm a little confused. My audiologist said that there is no such thing as tinnitus volume. She said that all tinnitus is the same, its just that we react different on it, and that decide if we look at it as loud or not loud.

I don't know if I can believe that. My T seems to go up and down, in both volume and pitch. No matter how I'm feeling. Sometimes its loud and I don't care, other times its almost gone and I get bothered by it. Yesterday it was loud, I went upstairs to relax. Then in suddenly went away. I continued to relax, but it gradually came back.

I don't get it...

2. MT09
      Inspired

MT09 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress induced.
      I totally disagree. T definitely varies in volume, type of sound and in so many other things! She's wrong in saying that everyone has it in the same volume, but different people hear it differently. Proof: my own experience. More proof exists, you just gotta go through this forum.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I also disagree with the audiologist's statement.

I'm quoting a post from Tinnitus Pitch and Loudness Matching

• Informative Informative x 2
    4. Hopeful
      Wishful

Hopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      I was told about a study done in Germany, where T patients had the T loudness matched (as I recall it was done by masking level) on different days. Some days they reported their T to be loud, somedays the opposite. The study apparently showed that the masking volume was the same everyday.

It's hard to believe, though.

5. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      On TRT planet all tinnitus is the same, because it is all about reaction. One day you won't react your T at all and it ceases to exist. This is the highest level of habituation and everyone reaches it eventually. All of our neurons will become unresponsive.

• Useful Useful x 1
    6. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      That's bullshit. I've read stories about T so loud they can't hear people talk. Obviously that's not because they've not "accepted" it yet lol.

How can you even be an audiologist and come with such ridiculous statements?

• Like Like x 1
    7. Lulubug69
      Artistic

Lulubug69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2013
      They obviously don't personally suffer with it.

8. rodstar43

rodstar43 Guest

don't feel alone. My T sure seems to change volumn. I have had the same experiences
      rodstar43

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Well, I don't understand that either. Some days I don't react to it at all now, but its still loud. Other days I'm bothered, but I have to put my fingers in my ears to hear it. It goes up and down all by it self. It's like it have its own mind.

10. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I think tinnitus does have its own volume knob. I know my is pretty loud on some days and then I can have days where it is whisper quiet. I don't think it is that way because of my reaction. There is a physical change in the loudness level. I don't really react negatively to my T loud or soft anymore, but it still exists either way.

11. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I`d like to see some scientific backup for such a bold statement when all our personal experiences tell diffrent.

One way to check tinnitus loudness is to match the frequency with a frequency simulator and than turn up the volume until you just reach the border where you can`t differ the sound outside from the sound inside ... I once showed this to my girlfriend to let her have a listen, she started crying because she than understood what we have to go through. :(

12. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      It's way passed rude to make bold statements about peoples T volume when she doesn't have it herself. Mind blowing stuff. These medical "experts" never stops to amaze me, all for the wrong reasons I'm afraid. Of course theres a real difference in volume that doesn't run on mental perception.

When I read that some describe their volume as so low that they need to stick fingers in their ears to hear it I must admit I feel very envious. I don't dare to mask my T cause it would mean cranking the masking sound volume up to a mad level. Shame on her for being such an ignorant provider of nonsense.

13. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      Just to make it clear, my earlier post was my clumsy attempt to make parody of TRT principles. AFAIK Meeruf is undergoing TRT therapy and I think the audiologist is trying to draw your attention from your T characteristics to your reaction to T. After all that is the part that can be changed with therapy.

Yesterday I reacted so terribly I could not mask at all, today my reaction seems to have gone down few decibels or my water tap is louder.

14. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
    15. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      The guy's just plain wrong. Sometimes mine will go up in volume and pitch for several seconds and back down. I'm not imagining things. Unfortunately, lately it seems to be a steady louder. Don't know why.

16. AnneG
      Cheerful

AnneG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      That's Crazy, I have seen a lot of post that simply proves that wrong. Its different for everyone, some have it high, some have it low. Even us, we can prove that. Were not IMAGINING it. Clearly that audiologist doesn't get it. My T increases sometimes and gets so low that i almost think its gone and i KNOW its real because i do hear it.

17. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      No question - my tinnitus volume fluctuates from day-to-day, week-to-week. It unequivocally is not my reaction to the T that is changing. It is indeed the volume. When it is really loud I have trouble hearing conversations. When it is really low, it is very easy to not notice it at all.

18. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      Your audio person is full of CRAP..

19. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      I also feel I can't believe tinnitus has always the same loudness. I had moderate tinnitus before and now I feel the volume has definitely increased. Can it all be in my perception or habituation that has worsened?

I also feel a lot of people that say "Yes, I have tinnitus, but it has never bothered me" might have a very quiet sound.

20. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @Riikka,

Yes, we all have unique T features and the volume varies a great deal. I find it especially weird when someone that doesn't even have T themselves are saying it's all in the perception. It's really insulting to be honest.

21. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      My own internal volume level varies from almost imperceptable (rare) to excruciating (occasional). I've found it best to try not to directly, cognatively recognize it on an hour-by-hour, day-by-day basis, although when it's excruciating it's pretty tough to ignore or accept it. Likewise, when I review what was a particulary good day, more often than not I realize my T was way off in the background on that day. My T seems to have become more tolerable, if not dissipated, if I draw focus away from it, not toward it. Hence the reason I don't visit this site much anymore (but I must say it's the best resource out there!).

22. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Word of the day Volume.. I know mine changes, my negative reaction is when it is loud.

23. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Volume I think is the issue for many of us. My T volume always fluctuates. It doesn't impact me as much as it used to but occasionally I still get annoyed on the louder days not quiet ones so volume is definitely a factor.

24. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I agree with what everyone here is saying. And I'm one of those people who really did have mild tinnitus that didn't bother me, back before I took an ototoxic drug! I can tell you from personal experience that there is a BIG difference in my tinnitus volume today from what it was back then. There was definitely a change in volume!!