Tinnitus Lowest in Silence?? Is This Normal??

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason C, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      I find my noise induced tinnitus to be lowest when I am in silence so thankfully it isn't bothering me when trying too sleep but when I am out walking in town or driving I can hear it fizzing and ringing away quite clearly.
      Also after an hour at the gym I can hear it ringing much louder when I leave and sit in the car but after 30-40 mins it calms down again.
      Mornings are best as when I wake up it's pretty much gone.

Anyone else have similar tinnitus?? This is different too when I first acquired tinnitus as it was just loud all the time. I am 6 months in now.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I find the same. In fact in silence my tinnitus is almost soothing dare i say it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      Really? I actually struggle too hear mine at all at night now but as soon as I am around sounds or music (which sounds a mess) it comes right back.

4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Well maybe its because in silence you don't need for your brain to try to interpret frequencies it can no longer find when it interprets music or other sounds.

5. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      Mine's the exact opposite. I don't like sleeping with a fan or a tv on and when I wake up, it's at it's loudest. I usually do my early morning deep thinking to the sound of my tinnitus and get kind of lost in it in a way. When I get out of bed and get going, it tapers down a lot or my brain puts in the background and I don't really notice it again until night time.

But, like you, a good workout always makes my ears ring a louder for a bit

6. dfw
      Cool

dfw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sports arena
      I have something to look forward to!!!

Thanks for posting these

7. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Something strange is going on mentally with me. In silence i can listen to it and be fine with it, going to sleep is no problem. When i watch tv though its like my brain wants to listen to it along lsose the tv which is annoying. To combat that i play some purple noise from my phone.

I really don't get why i can be fine in silence but if i have the tv on my mind goes looking for it!!?!

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      When my tinnitus first started, it was 100% absent in a silent room and for about 3 months, really didn't bother me, so I know what you mean by the reactive part. For me, sharp noises like a metal fastener clinking in a washing machine, or cutlery on a plate produced a weird, amplified sort of echo. It was only when it shifted to being permanently present that I was really bothered by it, as it started to severely impact my sleep.

9. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      My deaf ear reacts to sounds I hear in my good ear, so I definitely prefer silence and I don't have much trouble sleeping. When I first lost my hearing and acquired T, it was loudest in the mornings before I began moving and seeing and thinking about other things. Now, it is quietest when I first wake up.

10. Mymlan

Mymlan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      This is quite similar to how my tinnitus behaves, although I can still hear it in silence, it is louder among other sounds.

The first 6-7 months it was obviously loud all the time.

(Also my tinnitus is not gone in the mornings unfortunately).