Tinnitus Possibly Caused by Pregabalin — Been a Month Now

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Neo5Xo, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Neo5Xo

Neo5Xo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I took Pregabalin for 10 days for nerve pain related to my muscle condition called Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. I have also been chronically anxious these past few months and have a history of migraines.

I developed tinnitus while on the Pregabalin and immediately stopped taking it when I read it can cause tinnitus. When I first stopped the medication my tinnitus was only noticeable at night. I pretty much didn't hear it all during the day. As the days went on my tinnitus became louder and more noticeable. I am now unable to mask it and I hear it all the time. I also developed hyperacusis and my tinnitus is reactive to sound.

I started taking NAC and LipoFlavonoid which have calmed my tinnitus and hyperacusis. My tinnitus is no longer getting louder each day thank god. Too bad I couldn't get on these medications sooner but I am still hoping for improvement.

2. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      It's good that you found things to calm your tinnitus and hyperacusis. I wonder how much your anxiety is a factor. I have suffered from stress and anxiety prior to my onset, and I think they're among my leading factors.

Are you doing anything to help with anxiety? How's your sleep going?

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Neo5Xo

Neo5Xo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve actually been sleeping alright with the help of Melatonin and Doxylamine. I’ve been trying to practice mindfulness for anxiety. Anxiety is still there but I’m trying to go without anxiety meds as I’ve read they can make tinnitus worse. It’s hard because my tinnitus is not maskable and trying to relax with music just hurts my ears.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      That's good that you can get sleep. One thing that flipped my anxiety reaction to my tinnitus around is the Back to Silence method. There's a huge post about it on the forum here. I tried it and it very quickly tuned my anxiety down and got me more into acceptance.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      It sounds like your level of anxiety is linked to your tinnitus worsening and improvement.

Pregabalin does not cause damage to the inner ear, only a few drugs do.

Be careful with over the counter supplements. LipoFlavonoid has no efficacy and is essentially B vitamins, which in excess some are harmful. Also herbal remedies are not regulated and can contain things you don't want.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Neo5Xo

Neo5Xo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah the LipoFlavonoid contains B6 which I read can worsen nerve pain. It’s such a tiny dose though.

I find that Vitamin D spikes my tinnitus which really sucks because it helps with my energy and nerve pain. It makes no sense as to why vitamin D could be causing a spike.

7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Neo5Xo -- You might want to try a different brand. Sometimes different brands contain different kinds of fillers, etc., and can occasionally make all the difference in the world as to whether a supplement will work for you or not.