Tinnitus Rapidly Changes Pitch

Discussion in 'Support' started by benjd2016, Sep 26, 2016.

1. benjd2016
      Irritated

benjd2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I'm new here. 37 years old. Since May I've suffered from mild tinnitus.

Over the last few months I've noticed some changes. It started in my left ear, a constant buzzing sound, intermittent, most noticeable at night. It would come and go. Then it would sometimes change to a whistling/waterflow sound.

Now I have a strange phenomena in my right ear. It sounds normal low level hissing and then all of a sudden it will change pitch, like playing notes: CDE....C.....CDE...CD.....CDE...to illustrate the change. The pitch goes higher but not smoothly, like playing the same simple tones on different octaves. It's basically a hissing tone but changing pitch. Almost sounds as though I have digital birds in my right ear.

The pitch changes occur over a second or two, I'm very confused and concerned as to what may be causing it.

Talking also increases this occurrence. It's a weird phenomena.

If anyone has any ideas what could be causing this, I'd be more than happy to get any tests or treatments to fix it. At the moment it doesn't bother me that much but I am really concerned that it could get worse over time.

I have no idea what would cause these sudden and rapid pitch changes. I suspect it's either vascular/joint or neurological.

2. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Mine does the same thing. When changing from a high frequency hiss to the tone you mention, I can almost anticipate it oddly and not even sure what the mental cue is. There is a 'lag' in sound as the noise transitions from a hiss to a bell tone.

If anybody knows the root cause of this based upon current research, please post if you would.

3. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      mine goes from hiss to "eee." most of the day its been hiss...but the crazy part is i believe it is always the same frequency due to the reaction i get from residual inhibition...its a low frequency sound...not sure of the exact range...but at some points in the day i dont notice it...what makes it go from the hiss to eeeeing i have no clue....the brain is a strange thing...the one thing i wish we could figure out is how to control our brains....isnt it funny how the brain is essentially what we are, but yet we have no control on the things it does.