Tinnitus Relapse After Nearly a Decade of — From Extreme Stress / Anxiety Disorder?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Aspen.c, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Aspen.c

Aspen.c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Hey everyone, I’ve been lurking here for a few weeks now but decided to make a post of my own. About 8 months ago I had a relapse in my tinnitus. I’m not sure why it happened as there was no noise trauma or any new medications. The only thing I can think of was that I was under tremendous stress and my anxiety disorder was out of control.

Emotionally I’m definitely doing better today than I was even a few months ago but I’m still very much struggling. In the last few weeks I’ve had more good days than bad for the first time but then today it’s horrible again.

I guess what I’m looking for is support and maybe information but mostly I have 3 questions.

1. Is a relapse like this relatively normal?

2. Can I still expect to habituate again?

3. What does habituation look like at first? It’s been so long since I habituated that I don’t remember what it was like.

Sometimes I feel like my brain is starting to filter it out again, especially the last two weeks. Today has shaken my confidence again though.

Thanks in advance everyone!

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Kah Povi

Kah Povi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics and stress
      I hear you. I wish others would respond; I'd like to hear other takes on this issue.

I think there's a direct correlation between anxiety and tinnitus spikes. There are just times when things fall apart, such as health and relationships, and the tinnitus seems like a cry for help or an alarm system, like it's the actual sound of anxiety.

I don't think spikes are permanent. When I've convinced myself that there's nothing I can do about some spike and take a deep breath and try to move on with that grim reality, the tinnitus gets much quieter. It seems that letting go of the desperation to do something to make it stop is, ironically, a big help in it backing off.

I've gotten help with books that are directly about relief from anxiety (without drugs) such as the book Dare by Barry McDonagh.

Different personalities respond to different approaches, but for me doing something that takes my attention away from my problems and fears that isn't some frantic distraction - something like playing tennis or working on my writing - really helps. I also try to keep a healthy distance from drama, my own and other people's. And I try to keep a healthy distance from messages about what I need to buy or think.

I believe the brain does filter out the sound of tinnitus if we give it a break and give it a chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aspen.c

Aspen.c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      Thanks, I really appreciate that you took time to respond. Have you ever had a spike last this long? I’m worried I’ll never readjust.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Kah Povi

Kah Povi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics and stress
      Yes - I have had a spike that lasted a long time. And I understand your worry for sure. I'm a practicing Zen Buddhist who isn't very enlightened :) but I've been encouraged to develop some radical acceptance of what seems unacceptable. "Some" is the operative word -- it's not always easy to accept, and I do what I can to comfort myself while the waxing and waning takes its course. I do believe that habituation does happen more than once and that my real issue is anxiety in general.