Tinnitus since a teenager

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Roy, May 26, 2013.

1. Roy
      English

Roy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2005
      Hi. It's true. I woke up one night and heard a sort of humming buzzing noise. Thought someone had left some machine on in the utility room next door, but it wasn't - it was in my head (seemingly, my left ear). It was very low volume and not really any bother. Since about 2005 though, at age 60, it's been joined by a high pitched whistle that sometimes just keeps getting louder and louder, then fades. All my life I've had a problem where I sometimes have a pressurized sensation in my left ear, like when on an 'plane, and a really loud whistle (and my hearing drops), but this faded after about half a minute. Now, I have a similar whistle most of the time. My right ear also has a high whistle that sounds like it was recorded on a worn-out tape recorder with a lot of dropouts - the volume keeps wavering up and down, sort of like a bunch of mad birds in an avery.

My teenage tinnitus was probably down to me being a rubella child - I am also partially sighted, and the right ear has always been almost completely deaf (but oddly, only got tinnitus in it since about 2005). The "Dark style" is best as it doesn't glare like most other sites (except outeverywhere, which also has this facility). From that, you'll gather than I'm also gay.

I tried a self-hypnosis recording called "Turn Down Tinnitus", which encourages you to imagine you are in a recording studio and you can adjust the type of noise and turn down the volume. Someone on another site also recommended trying this technique. It's all about trying to change your perception of course, not actually altering it. Apart from the relaxing effect of the hypnosis, it didn't really help that much.

I live in the south of England, near Salisbury in a village called Landford. I used to work for an engineering company that has since gone bust. In the later years I used to be in charge of their computer systems. I keep my mind active doing simple computer programming, mainly for a "retro" pocket computer from the '80's.

Can I change the size of the site's text (without having to keep scrolling back and forth?).

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Nice. You are one of the few who uses the dark style. I guess it's well hidden in the bottom left corner...

I have eye floaters and I enjoy using the dark style, too.

What internet browser are you using?

Most modern browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and probably Internet Explorer starting from 9 or 10) should be able to handle "zoom" pretty well.

On my Mac, in Firefox, I need to press CMD and + which will zoom in, or CMD and - which will zoom out. I can also do that by clicking "View" -> "Zoom" -> "Zoom In" or "Zoom Out".

Once you have zoomed in/out, and the text size is to your liking, it should "stick". Meaning, if you have zoomed in on this thread, the same amount of zoom will be used on other pages of this forum, without you needing to set the size of zoom on every single page separately.

But all this is indeed done in your browser.
      In the future, we may implement an option for text size to bet set in a user's preferences, e.g., "small", "medium", "large", "extra-large".

Is the browser's zoom setting good enough for you for the time being, though?

Thanks for a detailed introduction by the way. One more Englishman in our ranks! :) Welcome aboard.

Markku

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roy
      English

Roy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2005
      Hi again, Markku,

I'll try the browser zoom function later. Currently, I'm using an old Dell PC running Windows 2000 and an oldish version of FireFox (version 3 I think). I can't use IE later than 6 on W2k, nor later versions of FireFox (as far as I know), but it's academic as I've just got a new PC with Win7 which will get set up when I get round to it!

Perhaps this is an old FireFox or old PC problem, but sometimes the editor lags. If I make a mistake and backspace, I often find myself over-backspacing! Would it be better to turn off the Rich Text editor and use whatever the alternative is?

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      You are the first to report a problem with the rich text editor. I don't think it's a widespread problem. Might be something to do with your setup.

Windows 2000 is so old, though, that please, try to get round to setting the new PC up!

Firefox's current stable version is 21 (nowadays they release a new version every 3-4 weeks or so...).

Internet Explorer 6 won't work well with Tinnitus Talk. That browser is old and sort of deprecated. Many sites don't support it anymore.

Firefox 3 should work, so I'm not 100% sure why you experience the lagging editor. Maybe it's because of the Windows 2000, or maybe your old PC is trying to say that it wants to retire :)

Let me know once the new PC is set up if you still notice any problems of this kind.

Markku

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roy
      English

Roy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2005
      Hi Markku.

I'm trying this out now on my XP netbook, and the editor seems to work OK Maybe it is the old PC, maybe the antivirus was scanning or something. Seems OK now. I don't use the netbook usually when at home because the screen and keyboard are obviously not as good as a desktop one. You will see I have put up my photo now.

How do I get my location to show up? Yours says "Finland", I only have "Tinnitus since..." showing.

Roy.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roy
      English

Roy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2005
      OK, found it. Funny, I thought I entered that when I signed up, but only the "Tinnitus since.." bit saved.