Tinnitus So Loud Since Saturday — Without Known Reason? How to Cope?

Discussion in 'Support' started by BobDigi, Oct 9, 2018.

1. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Well my tinnitus was already loud and in one ear. A few months ago I went through a huge spike and clicking in my ear. Then after a couple of weeks, it went back to its normal level.

I was relieved, but now think it was just a sign of what was to come.

Since Saturday my tinnitus is in both ears, and just as loud as the spike.

But it seems permanent.

It is much louder than anything else.

And when I see people saying "I can only hear it in a quiet room" I feel like punching them in the face.

Habituation was a long ride around 5 years ago. I'm not sure with tinnitus this loud, it's possible to habituate, but I'm going to have to try.

Apart from having a rant, I'm here to ask, apart from having background noise, sleep, and eat well, is there anything else anybody can recommend to help cope with sudden volume increase?

It's the volume of a loud TV, in a high pitch squeal.

And why would it change so drastically without any known trauma?

Thanks in advance. Bob

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      Try not to panic. My T that I’ve had for many years has got much louder. Hearing in a quiet room? that’s not TINNITUS as I know it.
      Have you been unwell, over tired, had a cold? T can respond to these things.
      I do empathise with the pain, worry and distress it causes.
      Eve
      @BobDigi

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. jmasterj
      No Mood

jmasterj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic?
      I am with you Bob. Same thing happened to me about 4 weeks ago. I posted about it this morning. I had mild tinnitus that really didn't bother me. I had it for around 5-6 years I always knew it was there, but didn't think about it. I woke up one morning and the intensity increase tremendously. I went to a GP and they said I had some sinus built up and fluid in the ear. They tried sudafed and then antibiotics and it appears the sinuses have now cleared, but my ringing seems to be just as high. I have been racking my brain for weeks to see what has changed without any luck. I know the night before this happened I bit down on something hard and it racked up my jaw so I am wondering if that had anything to do with it? I have probably made it worse on myself by continually thinking about it and stressing myself out over it. I am going to try to just live my life the best I can and forget about it. I know it is hard. I also had to get some Xanax to help with sleep. I am with you man and I am hoping that both of ours gets better with time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Thanks for replying. No Nanny chocolate, i have no cold nor am in over tired etc.
      And sorry you're going through the same thing jmasterj.
      It's been 5 days now with no let up. I'm still trying to stay hopeful it will go back to normal. But at the moment it seems unlikely.
      I went to buy a new sideboard with my wife today and while in the shop it was screaming. It effected my mood so much i just walked out the shop and lost all interest in shopping. I told my wife why but it don't think she can understand what it's like.
      I won't be whining on to people about it. I told my mum and she replied "well when I'm in a silent room i can hear a quiet noise"
      People just don't get it. When I'm in any room i have what sounds like a screeching train going through my head.
      Anyway i will try to carry on and put a brave face on but fuckin hell it's a bit of a slog at the moment. Good luck to you both.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Nanny chocolate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It’s so hard to be brave. The head full of screeching is one I know only too well. It’s not surprising you weren’t able to choose a sideboard, T at that level is all consuming. I told a friend about mine and she just laughed, warped sense of humour!
      No one who hasn’t had that experience can have any use of what it is like. Award yourself an ‘I’ve been brave’ badge for getting dressed and going shopping.
      Eve
      @BobDigi

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Nanny chocolate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    7. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Dealing with a spike for about the same number of days myself. I can relate.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi Bob, it’s awful when these T increases come out of nowhere and you just aren’t mentally ready for it - but who really ever is I’ve had T for 16 years now and I’ve noticed an increase over the last couple of years but I’m managing. I’m starting to think if this is the aging process ? or perhaps with my neck, shoulders and posture so tight these days that could be contributing? Just guesses but I suspect it. There is a big chance your increase is just one of those temporary spikes we all seem to experience from time to time. In those times I try to keep busy - get out of the house.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. RSV

RSV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3 years ago.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music guitar.
      Mnine is just a loud and gets louder every day. I know the feeling. Pray over it. That heps me 100 percent to go to sleep.

• Hug Hug x 1