Tinnitus Sound

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by VaR, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. VaR
      Question it

VaR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection/ETD (don't know exact cause)
      Hello Dr. Nagler,

I hope you're doing well. I've had a very high pitched sound in my left ear (mostly left, sometimes I think it's in the right ear t0o)since the past three months. MRI and all the basic diagnostic tests have been done. Other than chronic sinus issues, I seem to be fine. No hearing loss as per the basic audiogram.

I had two questions,

The first one being, that are there any differences in the pitch of tinnitus people might have according to the underlying condition?

The second question was a bit more vague. Sometimes I feel that I have T in my right ear as well but other times I don't (I'm not even sure if I have it in my right ear). It's only there when I plug my ears (and even then its not there all the time, it's like the T is in the center of my head and I can hear it more on the left). It doesn't vary at all from the T in my left and I think they are the same. Is it possible for it to be like this? I apologize for such a vague question but I just seem a bit confused as to whether I should consider my T bilateral or unilateral. Are the diagnoses of both same or do they vary?

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      @VaR posted:

I had two questions,

The first one being, that are there any differences in the pitch of tinnitus people might have according to the underlying condition?

Other than the fact that the tinnitus of Meniere's and cochlear hydrops is typically low pitched, I am unaware of any relationship between pitch and underlying condition.

The second question was a bit more vague. Sometimes I feel that I have T in my right ear as well but other times I don't (I'm not even sure if I have it in my right ear). It's only there when I plug my ears (and even then its not there all the time, it's like the T is in the center of my head and I can hear it more on the left). It doesn't vary at all from the T in my left and I think they are the same. Is it possible for it to be like this? I apologize for such a vague question but I just seem a bit confused as to whether I should consider my T bilateral or unilateral. Are the diagnoses of both same or do they vary?

Since your testing has ruled out an acoustic neuroma (more properly term vestibular schwannoma), the location of your tinnitus has no clinical relevance save for the fact that if your hearing thresholds are asymmetrical, you will tend to be more aware of it in your weaker ear. But even that tendency is inconsistent.

Dr. Stephen Nagler