Tinnitus Sounds Off After Trip to City — And I Was Wearing Double Protection

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fally, Feb 21, 2019.

1. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      What kind of Earpeace ones do you have? Are they difficult to insert in your ear and how do you know your size?
      I am not a big fan of the foam ones. That's all I have but I also have muffs. I wasn't using them in the car all the time but maybe I should? I would use them outside after a spike but most of the time, I didn't. I started getting over protective after spikes and if I heard screeching sounds or high pitched sounds. Sometimes, those sounds would start a spike, imho.

I would avoid sounds like hair dryers and vacuums but high pitched sounds are the worst, imho. My theory is that it's about the frequency and how your brain reacts to it - at least for T that might have been triggered by acoustic trauma. I am wondering if the reason that the devices in the study 'works' because they are able to 're-wire the brain' in some way. Regardless, I hope they ultimately work. But, I am definitely over sensitive to high pitched sounds and loud sounds in general, probably, but the high pitched/'screeching sounds' is what I think risk causing a spike for me.

I'm okay with running water and avoid hair dryers and loud sounds like that but I use ear muffs when washing the dishes. I think the dish clanging (potential) might be too high pitched for my ear, especially at such a close distance away. I haven't had an issue so far.

2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Here's a LINK to the Earpeace (brandname) plugs I bought. I find them quite easy to insert, but a little more difficult to remove (sometimes). They are quite unobtrusive, and I can carry on a conversation with them in. They come in a carrying tube you can attach to your key chain. There's also three different filters to adjust the amount of sound you want blocked.

The website has two different sizes; standard and petite. These are the only non-foam ones I've tried, so there may be others that are comparable or even better quality. But I'm quite happy with these as they give me just about the right amount of protection I feel I need. WAY better than foam plugs, or wearing obtrusive ear muffs.