Tinnitus Spike After Consuming Weed Edible

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chris809, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Chris809

Chris809 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      In need of help.

Two days ago I consumed a 16% THC peanut butter infused edible and for some reason my previously moderate eeeee/hissing has started to become more noticeable and somewhat reactive to sounds, difficult to cleanly mask.

For example if I listen to cricket sounds it masks the t but when I stop the eeee/hissing starts to sound like crickets.

I am a bit alarmed as I am not used to this.

Does anyone know if this is temporary? Is it something to do with weed still being in my system due to consuming an edible?

Your help would be greatly appreciated! :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For almost everyone it's temporary, but some people claim to have gotten permanent spikes from weed. Good luck, I personally think you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris809

Chris809 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I hope so! Do you think this could take several days before it goes down to the normal baseline?

• Like Like x 1
    4. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Maybe.

Weed isn't inherently something that should make T worse permanently. Short term, it increases your perception including your perception of T. I'm just guessing here, but I think spikes from weed that last longer than a few days has more to do that anxious attention was dedicated to the T which creates and sustains a spike just like stress and anxiety would

There's a few threads about weed and CBD on the forum, this issue has been discussed before so there may be some useful info there for you

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris809

Chris809 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Okay thanks, I will look at those threads

6. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      Did it ever go down for you?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris809

Chris809 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I am better now, what I did to cope was to make sure I got good sleep by making myself tired before bed (physical exercise early evening, drinking a sleepy tea, reading a book in bed were effective). Getting good sleep for me was a way to get used to my new situation because it broke the stress cycle thereby reducing my tinnitus distress. During the day I avoided loud noises but also I didn't overprotect my ears, I tried to listen to normal sounds as much as possible so my ears wouldn't become oversensitive. I still have the reactive sensation when I hear white noise type sounds but I've habituated to it to some degree. Sometimes I don't hear the T or its supressed like when I wake up or sometimes when I come back to a silent room from a noisier environment. T is pretty weird isn't it! I live in London and I am able to get around in the tube and noisy streets with my noise-cancelling headphones and I haven't had much of an issue.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris809

Chris809 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      It's so weird because I remember going to clubs on weed in the past and it was fine, listening to headphones reasonably loud never even gave me a hint of T, it really is bizarre to me how I got T, I understand how your brain could fill in for the frequencies when there is hearing loss but I have no hearing loss whatsoever so why can't the brain eventually just correct itself?

9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You probably have some small amount of hearing loss and you're one of us lucky people whose brains wire that into tinnitus. Headphone use history especially in youth usually implies at least trivial hearing loss.

Spikes from THC never last more than a brief period, given that I use a ton of it. If I stop for a long time and then overdo it, it can mess me up for a few days.

• Like Like x 1