Tinnitus Spike and New Tone from IHOP — Is This Permanent?

Discussion in 'Support' started by pinklights98, Dec 1, 2019.

1. pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Tinnitus is so debilitating.

This morning I went to IHOP with some friends for the first time in six months. I was having a great time and the sound level was quite pleasant—I didn’t find the sound level uncomfortable in any way. But, as a precaution less than halfway through I put in some musician's earplugs. I was there for a little less than an hour.

Edit: afterwards I went to a makeup store (Ulta) and didn’t wear earplugs. I didn’t really think to because it was empty but perhaps I should’ve.

I now have an awful spike (new tone) in my left ear. The fact that it’s a new tone scares me so much, it’s extremely high pitched. Could this be new damage? I’m really scared and feeling kind of hopeless.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    2. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      Tinnitus really is so debilitating. You never know what’s going to make it worse. Everything always feels like too much.

I am so so so sorry you are dealing with this! Just because it’s a new tone though doesn’t make it permanent necessarily. I had my noise trauma with a fire alarm a month ago and for a good period of that time I had several new alarm sounding tones which have decreased and changed back to a more “normal” ring after some time. Going back to work has ruined the progress I made on my hyperacusis pretty much but the worst of the ringing-the new tones- have gone down considerably.

It’s impossible to avoid noise it seems. Please try and stay calm and positive as you possibly can, and take care of yourself. I know it’s so hard, and you don’t deserve this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm having a spike and i went to the mall, I'm not sure if it's from the mall.
      Has your spike subsided?

4. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I’m having a spike and new tone from a trash compactor incident. As @Striveon asked has your spike and new tone subsided?

5. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      My tinnitus has been screaming, can’t sleep.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      pinklights98
      No Mood

pinklights98 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Yes this new tone subsided, don’t stress about the trash compactor incident it is not enough to cause damage.

I got an acoustic trauma from a car alarm that gave me new tones and whole lot of other stuff back in June 2019 but that is a lot louder and a lot more “alarming”(lol).

• Hug Hug x 1