Tinnitus Triggered by Using Bluetooth Headphones?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Derrik, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Derrik

Derrik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi group,

I found this forum after searching for possible links between Bluetooth and tinnitus. I developed mine a few months ago, noticed a high pitched almost electrical buzzing in my right ear that didn’t go away. Went to ENT - actually have one here that didn’t require a referral, and after a hearing test learned I have some high frequency hearing loss in that ear.

He suctioned out wax in both ears, it was sort of painful and I felt the ringing was worse that evening like the noise/pressure made it worse.

It may have got better, or perhaps I learned to live with it more, but then all of a sudden a few days ago I put on these Bluetooth headphones I bought a few months ago (coincidence?) and while listening to the music I started hearing my ringing. I immediately took them off and now it has been pretty bad since then. Usually when out and about I forget about it but not now. So yeah, the anxiety and frustration is increasing. I have worked from home since 2014 and wear Bluetooth headset, a good quality one. These headphones I just bought are cheap but had great reviews.

I also have chronic sinus issues with inflammation, I wonder if that also has something to do with it. I will try to read through this forum, but if anyone has some advise on supplements or remedies besides masking and “learn to live with it” that would be great. I suppose all ailments have a tendency to isolate people to some degree or another but this one sure makes me feel like there is a wall of sound between myself and the rest of the world. Even prayer is affected.

I just bought a wired headset for work and will pick up later at Best Buy. About 6 months ago, I noticed while wearing the work Bluetooth set around my neck in between calls I could feel an electrical type feeling coming from them, like an energy field and I wonder if it has always been there and I just never noticed it. Scared of all things wireless now.

For the record I am 44 and can’t think of anything that would have caused this or the hearing loss so suddenly. Sure been to concerts that were loud but it’s been years.

Thanks for listening.

2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I've never noticed nor heard of an electrical type feeling stemming from Bluetooth devices. You mention working from home and wearing a Bluetooth headset. I'm supposing you wear them for your work and that there may not be alternatives. If not, I would encourage you not to wear headphones with tinnitus IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Derrik

Derrik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, I am trying to use alternatives but so far waiting on IT to fix an issue where I can use USB type. It's complicated... Thanks for the response.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      You got tinnitus from the loud headphones, not the Bluetooth waves or whatever. Continuing to use headphones will probably make it worse (it doesn't for everyone but that isn't a gamble I'd make). I'd recommend getting a high quality set of speakers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Derrik

Derrik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They are not loud. And it is only one ear I am having an issue with.

6. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Still, it's not going to be like EMF waves. If you want to play Russian roulette then go right ahead.