Tinnitus Worse After ENT Visit (Had a Hearing Test, Got a Hearing Aid and Antidepressants)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mike. W, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Mike. W

Mike. W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi there, first time posting.

I've had tinnitus since I was a kid. I'm 32 now and a simple fan would cover it for nights and during the day it went unnoticed.

I had an ENT visit a month ago and two things happened. The first she just wanted to check my throat so she took a scope through my nose. This caused some discomfort and I coughed and gagged while clenching my jaw. After this I had my hearing test done which showed some slight damage to my left ear and some slight hearing loss in the left. Everything felt fine, I was fine until the next day.

Ever since I've had horrible tinnitus hissing and ringing in my left ear.

The only thing the audiologist did was give me a hearing aid and my primary put me on antidepressants.

I have no idea what to do. I feel sad and alone even with my supportive girlfriend.

The doctor said I do have TMJ but it's more on my right side.

Has anyone had this happen where a normal visit can trigger this?

I don't want to give up on this... I feel they should take some responsibility instead of tossing meds and a hearing aid at me. Do some tests!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Get another opinion. Why do you need a hearing aid with just a little... normal... hearing loss? Why do these Docs give out psychotropic drugs like candy...

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Not to say this is what happened to you, but my tinnitus tends to react badly to hearing tests. The pure tones used in the test spikes my tinnitus, particularly tones at my tinnitus level. In time, my spike subsides. Hopefully the same will happen with you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mike. W

Mike. W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Funny thing is they were real quick to downplay my question that the hearing test could cause any irritation. They just want to tell me it just happens and it's a coincidence my left side decided to go out of control.

How long does it usually take for your spikes to subside?
      Today I woke up and it was alot lower after a full month but has gone up throughout today.

Hopefully it's starting to slowly drone out.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @Mike. W I'm glad you had a quieter day today. Hopefully that's a sign of better things to come. I get spikes like most people and their lengths vary from a single day to several weeks. It's the longer ones that scare me!