TMJ + Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nati, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Nati
      Alienated

Nati Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows...
      Hey there!
      Was trying to find some info on the subject but couldn't find eneything..
      I was wondering if there is any record if any of what frequencys tmj effects..
      I have tmj and my tinnitus is in multiple frequencies, sometimes it's between 4000-6000 (I have a mild hearing loss in that area from before my tinnitus and tmj started)
      And sometimes it's a hiss (around 14k)
      My tmj (and tinnitus) started after chewing gum like a maniac for a few mounts.. yeah stupid..
      Anyway I'm wondering what kind of tinnitus other people with tmj have and what kind of hearing loss if any.
      Thanks!

2. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Hello there, know that TMJ can bring hearing loss, not sure what type though. I have both TMJ and tinnitus, TMJ I've had for 20 years and it is not always symptomatic, tinnitus only recently so don't know if they are related. Sound is high pitch hiss which later in the day becomes whole head buzz/noise...

3. DDD

DDD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noice induced/acoustic trauma
      Do you guys know if tmj cause facial numbness/tinglyness? Almost feels like a nerve..i hope this is not some weird T symptom. And does treating the jaw makes it go away or does it stay permanently?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nati
      Alienated

Nati Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows...
      From what I understand tmj is somthing you need to deal with long term, doesn't just go away but it can get allot better.
      About the numbness it's something that I use to get from time to time, but for me, I think it was more stress related to the T than something else.. but who lnows..

5. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      From all the journals I have read it is often a mid frequency loss, but it can vary quite a lot. Because it can affect muscle tension around the ears and in the middle ear muscles it also may be able to contribute to low frequency losses (conductive variety).

If you have T and hearing loss in the 4,000-6,000 range it is often noise induced as well.

Sorry if I do not have links to those journals. I read them a year ago perhaps.

Personally I have high and low frequency hearing losses. The low frequency losses may be related to muscle tension, some of which likely does result from secondary TMJ issues. And inflammation around my TMJ has indirectly lead to my ears being damaged in other ways, usually by restricting muscle movement in my throat such that every time I swallow or cough too much air goes up my eustachian tubes and I get a barotrauma injury.