Tobramycin Eye Drops Might Have Affected Me

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by wakeupscreaming, Aug 28, 2019.

1. wakeupscreaming

wakeupscreaming Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 24, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tobramycin
      I've had a chronic eye infection for years.
      The doctor did an eye swab and gave me Tobradex.
      I waited the 2 weeks for the swab results to come back before starting any eye drops.
      2 weeks later, he says it was a gram positive bacterial infection, and I insisted on an antibiotic without steroids (which can cause glaucoma), so he gave me Tobramycin.

In hindsight, the tobramycin was overkill for what my infection was for. Tobramycin is for gram-negative bacteria, which are trickier to kill and need stronger antibiotics. They didn't find any in my eye swab culture, just gram positive, which are "weaker". So it was like using a grenade to kill a mosquito.
      Anyways, did drops every 4 hours for 6 days. On the 6h day, i happened to do an internet search on any side-effects of Tobramycin, and came across a website (not this one) talking about tobramycin and tinnitus, hearing loss and I was really shocked.

On the 7th day, I saw the doctor, and mentioned that the antibiotic eye drops could be ototoxic, and he quickly scowled, and said no, that's just for the ear drops or the IV version.
      I have had subtle ringing in my ears all this past week. It's really disheartening, as I'm a music producer. Music is my life.

I read on this other website to quickly start taking antioxidants, like NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) and D-Methionine (although I only found L-Methionine at the health store). Not sure what the difference is.
      So I started taking those about 4 days ago. Not sure it's helped at all.

I guess my feelings now are being scared it could get worse. Scared it's permanent. Angry this doctor hurt me. And then didn't believe me.
      The big laugh now, is that the antibiotic didn't even help with my chronic eye infection that's been affecting me for years. So it was all for nothing. Just damaging my body.

From now on, any medication a doctor prescribes to me, i'm gonna research everything about it before I even fill the prescription out.
      I was on my way traveling to another city for several days right after my doctors appt, so I wasn't able to do that this time.

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Go talk to a malpractice attorney.