Tomatis Method — Helpful as a Tinnitus Therapy?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Inge, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzodiazepine withdrawal
      Anyone familiar with the Tomatis Method?

Googling it produced some YouTube videos. After listening to three minutes of Mozart in one of the videos I felt immediate, albeit temporary, relief.

Science behind it claims something about stimulating brain plasticity through various and unexpected tones. This flies in the face of traditional TRT where you just listen to constant white noise.

In any case, I will give Mozart and the likes a try for a week and see how it affects my tinnitus.

2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Residual inhibition.

• Like Like x 1
    3. efferent
      Confused

efferent Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild Sensorineural Hearing Loss (25-35 db in 4k-8k)
      Does anyone know where to get the Tomatis program including the filtered music, the Brain Activator unit and the bone conduction headphones?

The websites Sound Therapy International and Sound Therapy Perth provide just the CDs. If I have read correctly, you need the speech processing part as well.

I am thinking about trying this - given I have high frequency tinnitus that is not addressed by other sound therapies.

Any help is highly appreciated!

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What is the frequency of your tinnitus?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. efferent
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @GregCA, it varies between 11 kHz-13 kHz - very hard for me to pinpoint as there are multiple tones going up and down at different times.

6. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You should be able to try windowed white noise therapy.

Possibly ACRN too if you don't have too much hearing loss in that region, but it's generally not recommended for tinnitus > 8 kHz.

7. efferent
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @GregCA, thanks for your reply. I have tried the windowed white noise but it unfortunately tends to make it worse. Sometimes I get the Zwicker tone for a few minutes after and then it just increases the noise in high frequencies (definitely above 10 kHz).

8. efferent
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have found a therapist who offers Tomatis Therapy and is licensed by the international organization that offers (and has commercialized) this therapy. However, its expensive; in NYC, they are asking for $1,600 per intensive listening session, which comprises 2 hours of music therapy per day for 13-15 days. Each patient completes 3 of these listening sessions which brings the cost close to $4,800.

I am considering it but due to the cost being high, I am quite hesitant. The reason for my inclination to try this in-clinic version of Tomatis therapy is they use a programming machine which allows therapy to be personalized and also allows for the voice exercises indicated by the Tomatis therapy. Tomatis laws indicate that the voice loses the frequencies that the ear cannot hear so the voice exercises sort of seem like an integral part of therapy. I have not found any DIY solutions yet that include the wholistic approach to this.

Has anyone tried this therapy under the guidance of a therapist? Any feedback would be appreciated!

9. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Maybe you should be. The website mentioned in post #4 hasn't had a blog entry since 2014.
      Is there a scientific study that shows any results?

I'm always leery of sites that claim they can get rid of your tinnitus. I've been with tinnitus long enough to know that it's much more complicated than that. Overpromising is a sign of danger, IMO.

Good luck!

10. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      I've just spoken to a clinic down south that offer the Tomatis Sound Therapy. It isn't in clinic. They send you the device with the programs recorded onto it and some headphones. There are 3 packages available with the basic being $699 (AUD) which isn't a massive sum of money if I get some relief. Price includes email or phone support if required.

• Like Like x 1