Tonsillitis and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AnneG, Oct 31, 2013.

1. AnneG
      Cheerful

AnneG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      Do you guys think Tonsillitis can make my T worse? Because i heard Colds can and everytime i have Tonsillitis I'd start getting the Colds to, So now I'm a little bit worried, I know when I'm gonna get Tonsillitis for its something i have very often, My neck would start to feel stiff, My throat starts to hurt, headache and i feel very tired. And Since the throat is connected to the ears i thought maybe it might make my T worse. This will be my first Tonsillitis since the T onset. I haven't taken any medications for T, I'm scared that it also might make it worse. If this Tonsillitis goes on can i take Antibiotics for it? Has anyone ever took antibiotic and noticed difference in their T? How about paracetamol? Thank you :)

2. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Hi Anne,
      check this list of ototoxic drugs so - just in case - you can choose with your doctor the antibiotic to take if you need it.
      http://www.ata.org/sites/ata.org/files/pdf/Ototoxic_Brochure_by_League_for_Hard_of_Hearing_2012_Jul_12.pdf
      I took an antibiotic not included in the list for five days and it didn't affect my T.
      Take care!

3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I wouldn't be worried about it making the tinnitus worse. If you notice a temporary spike, try not to worry and let time take care of it.

I see Carlo gave you proper advice above.

I have taken both ibuprofen and paracetamol, and no difference in tinnitus.
      Paracetamol is apparently the safer choice.
      See this thread: Should we worry about paracetamol/ibuprofen? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

• Informative Informative x 1