Transient Threshold Shifts

Discussion in 'Support' started by JohnAdams, Jan 29, 2019.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I took a hearing test on a low tinnitus day and I could clearly see where my hearing loss was, about 6.5 kHz and that also matched my tinnitus tone.

I took another hearing test the next week after an acoustic trauma caused by protestors walking down the street shouting in a megaphone, which ended up pointing right at me before I could think about it, which greatly spiked my tinnitus, and I took another hearing test the next day.

This hearing test showed a shift of between 5-10 dB more hearing loss and I even knew my hearing was worse during the test and my tinnitus went from sounding like 2-3 distinct tones to a waterfall of sounds. The doctor called this a transient threshold shift, which I believe is synonymous with a spike.

So what do you guys think the physiology behind this is? Certainly the hair cells aren't destroyed because spikes subside and return back to normal, so is it the ribbon synapses getting fatigued? Disconnected temporarily? Something else? Any thoughts?