Tried to Cure Fluid in Eustachian Tube, Hearing Returned? Advice

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kevin Harrison, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Kevin Harrison

Kevin Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thoughts all please..

I wear a hearing aid as I have mild to moderate loss in my right ear, was called a bite on the print out I was given - right in the speech area.

I also have Tinnitus in that ear.

Every visit to ENT has ever resulted in being told that that my right eardrum is sucked in and I do tend to get a fluid build up. No one ever mentioned the Eustachian tube and it getting blocked

I looked on the internet last week and tried some techniques recommended by Dr Alan Mandell.

Specifically the Valsalvas. Immediately the fluid and whooshing sound vanished.

The Tinnitus has eased also.

But astonishingly to me is my hearing seems to have returned. I no longer need the TV on 30 and if I wear my hearing aid everything now is way to loud.

Has anyone experienced similar? Can hardly believe it..

• Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Ying_X79

Ying_X79 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I Have no similar experience, but am happy for you. Hope your T gets better and better.

3. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      My understanding is that in some cases where there is hearing obstruction such as ear fluid buildup or ear wax, the tinnitus goes down or subsides completely once the obstruction is removed. Compliant middle ear system is important for normal hearing. Any improvement in this system can have a positive effect on tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Harrison

Kevin Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, my ENT said my hearing loss is a mix, but I am convinced it’s down to my Eustasian tube.

I have been told my right canal is very unusual but no idea why, something to do with the bone behind the drum apparently

5. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Do you have mild hearing loss across all frequencies. I have mild hearing loss on one frequency.

6. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      If you have a so called "cookie bite" in the middle of your audiogram down to 30 dB or more then I would suspect you have more than just conductive hearing loss.

You should ask your doctor why he things your ear canal is unusual. This seems like a very strange remark. I don't see how the any strange shape of the ear canal would affect the middle ear bones.

You may have a mix of sensorineural and conductive hearing loss which is what your doctor apparently suspects.

7. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      He said he has a bite in the middle. This is what that type of audiogram looks like.

cookie-bite-hearing-loss.png

8. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here is mine from OCT and then from FEB i had a dip to 25db on 4khz, i will post that in a thread later.

Attached Files:

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Harrison

Kevin Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Apparently frequency where speech is. Sorry, not that technical around this.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Harrison

Kevin Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is what he said. It’s just the fact that when I started learning to gently open my Eustasian tube that my hearing improved.

Is this expected?

11. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      So no dip at 4K in October last year, but you got one in February this year? What else has changed, do you feel like your hearing has worsened or that your tinnitus has changed?

I don't mean to doubt you but what you experience may be subjective. To keep things truly scientific we have to measure improvements by objective measures. What do you base this on? Have you done a second hearing test since?

I suppose you can compensate the sensorineural hearing loss by improving the conductive component of the overall hearing loss, but only up to a certain point. Depending on its origin, conductive hearing loss can be reversed. It's the sensorineural hearing loss that's irreversible and the true problem of hearing loss in most people.

12. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, higher tinnitus and hyperacusis, other ear issues. I did two hearing tests on jan 15 and from there all went downhill. I will make a topic soon about how i went from very mild t to very bad tinnitus with hyperacusis.
      I also did an audiogram Jan 8 and it was normal, Feb 6 mild hearing loss:D

13. Samir
      Obedient

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Ease up on the hearing tests, you might get hearing loss! :eek:

But seriously, why so many hearing tests?... and why two on the same day? They are not that valuable anyway. It's not like you're going to get a much more precise measure by repeating the test a number of times. They tend to fluctuate a lot and it's not an objective measurement to begin with.

Looking forward to read all about it!

14. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jag lär mig svenska :D :D

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    15. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I have a more complicated ear canal in one ear too. I discovered that when i had material silicon injected it in order to make custom (molded) ear plugs. I was born this way, your unusual shape is from birth too. Nobody is born perfect. It is the ear in which i have big pressure problems. I am convinced that the unusual shape of the ear canal has an impact on the ventilation of the middle ear, and poor ventilation in it causes tinnitus.
      Speaking about dr Mandell's technique, i remember he says in one ear to tug on the "tragus", that portion of the ear that gets pierced when one wants to put an ear ring. I think your unusual ear canal in that ear contributes in a poorer adjustment of the pressure in the middle ear.
      Anyway, congratulations for easing your tinnitus and improving your hearing by using valsava technique. Do it very carefully, though. You may hyperventilate the middle ear. There is this risk. I read accounts from people who used technique and ended up with a worsening of the problem and advice not to do the valsava maneuvre. I think it is good to do it, but with measure. Do not overdo it. Do not blow too much air and with too much force, because too much air in the middle ear is bad too. It happened to me to inflate the middle ear too much. I did not get worse tinnitus, but i could tell that something bad happened, luckily without consequences.
      Apparentely you managed to do it just right and i must say that i kinda envy you. I was not so succesfull. Congratulations.

16. G H
      Curious

G H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Anyone have a link to that video you speak of?

17. Ying_X79

Ying_X79 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Harrison

Kevin Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks, I just do it gently enough for it to make an opening noise, not a pop.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kevin Harrison

Kevin Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It’s not subjective. Something clearly has changed, if I wear my hearing aid after doing the procedure I have to take the aid immediately out as everything is very loud and hurts my ears. Never happened previously.