Trying to cope with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Buttercup27, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Buttercup27

Buttercup27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Hi everyone,

Here is my story with tinnitus. I first heard a high pitch tone in my ear back in November 2011. After it didn't stop for a few days went to an ENT who diagnosed tinnitus.

First few months were hard but eventually I was able to keep my t in the background. Until now.

Last week I noticed that my t changed when I heard certain external sounds like my heating unit or washing machine. This am i even heard a weird whistling sound while cars were driving down the road. My right ear is now louder making it harder to mask or sleep. I went to another ENT and had a hearing test. I have some conductive hearing loss in both ears and a slight noise induced loss in my left ear (which I assume was from listening to headphones too loud).

I have a lot of allergies and sinus issue and trying to clear that up first.

I also have a lot of anxiety issues (all my life) that seemed to have worsen now that my T has changed. I'm terrified that my T will soon respond to all external sounds and I will never hear normally again. I'm going to see a therapist next week and hopefully some medication will help with the anxiety.

It's been very stressful the last week especially since I have twin 20 month old girls to care for. I'm trying not to let T rule my life but it is hard and I don't know what other options I have.

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Welcome buttercup. Anxiety and T go hand in hand it seems. Anxiety and stress always makes your T worse. Anxiety is something you can address and so are your allergy issues. Once you can get these under control, I am sure it will return to the way it was before. I have periods were my T is not an issue at all but then I get a couple of big stressers and my T ramps up and lets me know it. I then do what I can to relieve those stressers and it goes back down again. I view my T as kind of a warning indicator now. When I am stressed it ramps up so I try to remind myself to de-stress as much as I can. Certain things you can control. T is not really one of them but factors that make T worse are, like stress and anxiety. Addressing those issues will almost certainly make your T more tolerable.

You are going to see a therapist next week and getting some meds. Those are good first steps. We all have struggles with T and life and you are on the right track.