Tubes in Ear/Incision in Eardrum?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Maithe Marshall, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Went back to the dr yesterday because of bad aches and pains in my year last night. I was thinking the infection came back but it didn't. Dr said I have so much fluid eardrums are bulging..
      Nothing seems to be working in my favor sadly to get this damn fluid out of my ear! Tried steroids 12 days worth! Did nose prays ( not everyday but I don't feel like it's working anyway), did the antibiotic for the infection ( which I thought would help with the fluid? Not sure) and did decongestant all week this week and even switched the the stronger version of sudafed -_- I'm getting really annoyed because this fluid is really starting to hurt, cause bad pressure feeling..making my eardrum feel like it's moving and causing me bad headaches..
      And obviously the T.

So the dr recommend I see a ENT again ( which I'm currently trying to get a appt but it's 2 hours away from the town I'm in) dr said I may need to have it drained out of me through tubes or maybe a incision..

Now..I don't know how I feel about this..
      Should I do it? Should I not? Is this safe? Will it affect the t? Make it go away? Worsen it? Make me lose hearing?

2. Marias21
      Busy

Marias21 Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      allergies
      no dont it will drain it will take time im in the same boat as you are ( expet the pain ) i will not do anything those things have a risk of making the ringing peppermint if at all i would go to the very best ENT dr Brain weeks in San deigo he dose ETD Dylations im thinking of going with him even if its a 3 hour train ride ( i don't drive ) to see what can he do for me

heres his web site you can also find video of what he dose on youtube

http://drbrianweeks.com/

this is what he do

Balloon dilation of Eustachian tube

• Like Like x 1
    3. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I don't know from an adults point of view but my daughter had severe fluid in her ears for a period of many months and ear tubes (grommets) were a total godsend.

My girl was essentially deaf as she had so much fluid and they made a world of difference to her.

The other thing I'll mention is the nasal spray - I use one and you really have to be consistent to see results. Took a while for me to get results

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Thank you! Should I worry if they want to put tubes in my ears? I'm scared because I think that this is the only thing that is going to help me..
      :/ I have never had any ear issues in my life until I got on that plane ( never flying again btw)

5. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I can't help you with that, but from reading all your posts I honestly think that once your ear fluid goes a way so will the ringing.

If your ENT is any good I'm sure he/she may give you some other options before surgery is explored

6. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I have to agree with Amelia, you didn't use the nasal sprays consistent enough, it is recommended to use them for at least 6 weeks to see good results.
      After that you can always try ear tubes.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Agreed..
      It's just been very hard since the military base my husband and I are at is so horrible..they have a small clinic when usually they have hospitals with every dr you can think of. They usually have a ENT but not this one..
      The ENT here in clovis really doesn't make me feel comfortable. I'm trying to get a referral to one in another town 2 hours from my husband and I.

I am frustrated because I'm trying everything. I thought the steroids would really work better than anything else..
      I am going to start that nasal steroid spray I have now a few times a day and see how that goes..until I visit a ENT.

@seal okay I'm defiantly going to give this nasal spray a try. It's just odd how the dr wants me to do it while bent down than tilting my head back. I've found it hard to get it to the back of my throat ( this is how the dr told me to do it)

8. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Maithe Marshall that's odd, I have to tilt my head back not bend over... really strange. I would definitely try it with my head tilted back, maybe while lying in bed. That should help getting the spray where you need it to be.

9. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Maithe Marshall another thing: will you please try camomile steam inhalation at least twice a day and have a look if it has an effect on your symptoms?

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Kris

Kris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      In my humble opinion, you are still in the very early days and the procedure is quite drastic. I would give it a bit more time.

I have had ETD for a year now, and it is MUCH milder compared to the first few months.

Anxiety plays a big role initially as it makes the issue seem worse than it actually is. Let the dust settle a bit before you rush into anything. You don't seem confident with your doctors where you are situated so at least see someone you are comfortable with before you make a big decision.

My opinion!

11. Catarina
      Old hag

Catarina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2006
      I had a tube put in about 5 weeks ago. I did not have fluid behind my ear drum, but a feeling of fullness, blocked ear and difficulty equalizing pressure. My ENT said the tube might help. Well, it hasn't, instead the feeling of pressure has increased and so has the sound of my tinnitus. My ears are crackling and fluttering, probably because some muscles are tightening. The tube has been been blocked and infected and irritated by ear wax, so I have been prescribed 3 kinds of ear drops during these weeks. It has been 5 horrible weeks, and it just seems to get worse. I phoned my ENT today for I wanted to ask her to remove the tube. Turns out she is on holiday so I have to try to stick it out until she's back. It seems such an easy procedure, but turns out it isn't necessarily so for adults. The healing time can be long, weeks even months and I read that only about 50% of adults are helped. Here are some forum threads discussing this. I wish I had read them before I agreed to have it done!
      http://www.steadyhealth.com/Deafnes...g__noise_after_grommet_operation_t191207.html
      http://forums.webmd.com/3/cold-and-flu-exchange/forum/2745
      Everybody reacts differently, and if you have trouble with fluid maybe having a tube is the only thing that will help you. But I think it's important to know that it may not be a quick fix and my advise would be to think about it before having the procedure done.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Wow I had no idea. I'm so sorry that you are having a bad few weeks. But thank you for telling me about this..
      I saw my regular dr on base today who diagnosed me with ETD, she saw a bunch of fluid in my right ear only a little in my left..
      She prescribed me zertec and told me a lot of people benefit from this who have ETD it can help with inflammation! Not sure though..she also told me to take Afrin and she prescribed me another nose spray..
      Guess I'll see how things play out:/

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      You've had ETD for a year now...? It can stay that long..
      Ugh:( now I'm sad..
      I was diagnosed with it today along with lots of fluid in my ears..
      My ears feel "sore" lots of pressure and I hear popping whenever I yawn and swallow but it doesn't help equalize the pressure. I feel like I have cotton balls in my ears:/ it's been this way for 4 and a half week now..
      So I'm just..really sad still..

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Catarina
      Old hag

Catarina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2006
      Have you tried lymphatic massage? It's something you can easily do yourself, there are some good videos on Youtube. I found these quite helpful:
      Self Lymph Drainage Massage by...

Lymph Drainage for the Ears from Louisville...

It's easy and it's free, so well worth a try!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Maithe Marshall
      Gloomy

Maithe Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Last week.
      Please keep me updates on how everything goes for you.

16. japongus

japongus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      So did you put pe tubes in your ears in the end?