Twenty Advantages of Living with Mr. T

Discussion in 'Support' started by Valentina, Apr 13, 2015.

1. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have been thinking about this thread, since perhaps this is a good way to approach the big bad T. Let's beat the monster by laughing at it and finding the good in it, might even help a bit. A great idea, Valentina!

Admittedly, it was still hard to think of genuine advantages or find the funny side. Today I finally came up with something that felt important to me.

Mr T. helps me put my wellbeing and happiness first

How? Let me try to explain:

Getting a horrible reactive T last September by going to a concert I knew would be way too loud (earplugs didn't save me!), made me really reconsider my choices. I didn't even really want to go and was really anxious about it, but still went because I felt obliged (otherwise my friend would have had to go alone). I have been thinking a lot of that certain decision and simply refuse to put myself in danger anymore. I have learned to say 'no' and listen to myself, rather than do things I might regret later. It kind of feels good - as if some hidden power was restored. "This is not good for me, I don't want to do it and I feel anxious about it - so, nope, not gonna happen!" - rather than going through it just because I feel I have to. Makes me prioritize things and there is this new self-discovery going on. It might change my life for the good.

A good example of this is how I spent my last New Year's. Usually I have felt an urge to celebrate which means loud crowds, parties and fireworks. I don't even enjoy crowded venues (anxiety issues) and have seen enough fireworks for a lifetime. But it was just something I considered a tradition and that New Year's somehow requires such things. Mr T. finally blocked me from continuing that tradition and made me think what would be something I'd actually enjoy... rather than do just because. I ended up travelling to countryside with my boyfriend. As the year changed we were in the middle of nowhere observing starry nightsky, enjoying hot tea from a thermos bottle. Boring? Not at all! We both considered it to be the best New Year's ever.

Might seem silly, but the happiness coming from simple discoveries like that can be incredible, since it feels like setting oneself free from expectations and outdated habits.

• Like Like x 2
    2. GuiConfortin

GuiConfortin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 4th 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      "21) When we're cured we'd be the happiest people on earth and won't take life for granted!"