Unrelenting Eustachian Tube Troubles

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Oct 24, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Dysautonomia/Vascular
      I've had eustachian tube problems since May. They were not caused by a co-occuring infection or allergies, but likely due to tight muscles around the tubes. There is no mucosal congestion in the tubes either, so I would not expect decongestants to do anything.

I keep having the problem where, when I open my mouth to yawn or swallow, my eustachian tubes pop explosively and powerfully with a tearing noise (it's much louder than it should be, and much more physically felt than normal). It also happens when I pop my ears (by pretending to yawn), even if I am doing it super lightly. Oftentimes, this results in vertigo, horrendous ear pain, and muffled hearing. It's nightmarish because it happens every few minutes. And today it is making me want to bang on the wall because of how painful it is.

What have people done to help alleviate this problem that involve doing other things aside from decongestants and a pressure equalizing device?

2. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      My own Eustachian tube problems were caused by the very slightest viral infection, but never resolved, so you have my sympathies.

Are your problems confirmed to be muscle related? I think that in many cases (mine included) the real reason for the persistent ETD is never really established. The ear pain and muffling are pretty standard with ETD, but vertigo isn't so usual.

I see you don't want decongestants (They only give temporary, if any, improvement, with a likely rebound when stopped). Pressure equalising devices will, though, get rid of the pain and pressure symptoms. I haven't found any tinnitus improvement (I didn't really expect any.), but grommets, T-tubes etc insertion are pretty minor procedures and may not even need a general anaesthetic.

I accepted the surgical approach and am satisfied enough with the outcome.

Fungus

• Like Like x 2
    3. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Dysautonomia/Vascular
      @Fungus

I would not want an equalization tube because it is muscular in origin. My scalenes, trapezius, and sternocleidomastoid muscles are often going into spasm, as well as those around the TMJ. It's due to another health problem.