UPDATE: Hearing Loss Resolved, Continued Tinnitus, Dizziness, Visual Symptoms

Discussion in 'Support' started by stev3po, Jun 8, 2020.

1. stev3po

stev3po Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral ear infection or neti pot?
      Hello,

I thought I'd post an update to my tinnitus and dizziness as I've gotten more testing done, including a brain MRI and full vestibular tests (see below for full timeline of my symptoms).

The first ENT I saw misdiagnosed me with Otosclerosis, as second hearing test showed my minimal conductive loss as fully resolved... WTF, right? :dunno:

My tinnitus is usually low and manageable, hasn't really improved from that but hasn't been getting worse. It does spike sometimes. Dizziness has been getting better. I believe I have adapted to the vestibular loss that the caloric testing shows. Visual symptoms remain. They are certainly scary. This is what I'm mainly experiencing:
      • Discomfort when looking/focusing near or far, especially with multiple depths
      • Eyes are sensitive to light
      • TV difficult to watch
      • Soft edges around shapes
      • Difficulty reading text in paragraphs
      • I see ‘visual snow’ in low light or when focusing on patterns
      • Certain colors (contrast) are hard to focus on, i.e. a stop sign

Overall, vestibular rehab seems to be the most promising. The therapist explained that I may have had a viral infection in February when I first felt the ringing. The virus attacks the nerve from your inner ear to your brain. Then as it heals, it leaves scar tissue on the nerve. The nerve still functions, but the scar tissue slows the speed of the signal ever so slightly. Then, it doesn't match with the input of the unaffected ear. This makes you dizzy and causes the visual symptoms. I've only been doing exercises for a little over a week, and this is what I've been doing. Vestibular PT thinks I will fully recover. Going to do a mTBI eval as well from the concussion clinic here at UW medicine, as well as see an ophthalmologist.

If y'all have any questions or any suggestions, please feel free to comment or DM me!

Full Summary:

Dec 2019 - Got a sinus infection and water into my right ear with neti pot. Ringing in my right ear, but it went away in a couple days. No dizziness/visual symptoms.

Jan 2020 - Snowboarding accident - fractured Left humorous at shoulder. I don't think I hit my head. No ringing or dizziness.

Feb 2020 - Woke up one day with dizziness, ringing + fullness in my right ear. Had a panic attack and went to ER. Told me to take Sudafed and Flonase for ear fluid but didn't help.

Mar 2020 - Saw an ENT, confirmed no fluid in my ear. Hearing test showed a slight conductive hearing loss in right ear. ENT diagnosed me with early otosclerosis.

Mar 2020 - Optometrist. Eyes tested perfectly healthy, 20/20.

Apr 2020 - Tried Singulair, Prednisone, Valium, Valacyclovir (one at a time). No change in symptoms.

Apr 2020 - Primary care provider prescribed heart monitor for palpitations. Still awaiting results.

May 2020 - Symptoms persist, saw ENT #2 and return hearing test was perfectly resolved (attached).

Jun 2020 - Ran MRI + contrast of brain, no tumors found. Did full vestibular testing, VEMP, Rotary chair, SVV, vHIT, VNG, Caloric. Right (affected) ear caloric weakness was 38%. Began Vestibular rehab exercises at home.

Next: mTBI eval and comprehensive eye exams. Continue vestibular rehab. TMJ work up.

:thankyousign:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    2. DaveyJones
      No Mood

DaveyJones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/19/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How are you doing? Your symptoms sound eerily similar to mine. I’m so scared and haven’t been this suicidal in ages. I already suffered from depression before my ear problems, and I’m doubting if I can endure this added burden.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      stev3po

stev3po Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral ear infection or neti pot?
      Hey there Davey,

hope you’re doing well. I have gotten better, and I’m pursuing more treatment options, particularly tmj issues, and I haven’t given up. We’re all in this together!! I’ve been through some serious shit dealing with this, message me if you wanna chat more. Hang in there.

Steve

• Like Like x 1
    4. DaveyJones
      No Mood

DaveyJones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/19/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for your response - I’m glad to hear you’ve had some improvement.