Can Trimetazidine (Vastarel) Improve Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by savvouri, Oct 24, 2014.

1. savvouri

savvouri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/14
      Hi guys,

I have had tinnitus for nearly 3 months now and I can honestly say it is driving me crazy. It is a constant, pulsating sound 24/7 in my left ear that does not seem to be getting any better.

A month after it started my ENT doctor prescribed cortisone nasal drops for a month for blocked sinuses, and recommended to cut out caffeine and to use some kind of white noise when trying to sleep. 2 months later it hasn't made a difference at all.

I went to another doctor this week who prescribed Trimetazidine (Vastarel).

I just wondered whether any of you have experience with this and what the outcome was.

Thanks in advance.

2. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      Totally useless unfortunately.

3. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      According to Wikipedia they give it to tinnitus patients in France.

"Trimetazidine is usually prescribed as a long-term treatment of angina pectoris, and in some countries (including France) for tinnitus and dizziness."

Anybody have any experience with this?

Unfortunately, it also says "EMA recommends that doctors should no longer prescribe trimetazidine for the treatment of patients with tinnitus, vertigo or disturbances in vision."

4. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I confirm, I'm from France and I was prescribed Vastarel when I got my tinnitus. It did not really help unfortunately.

5. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Unfortunately all the drugs out there which are supposed to help tinnitus actually it Seems to me that they do nothing for your tinnitus or they make your tinnitus worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. cornelius

cornelius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      several acoustic traumas, always physician denial
      I took it for many years without any positive effect believing stupidly that healing would eventually be triggered. Among side effects there are Parkinsonian symptoms and the French FDA even wanted to discontinue it because there are no proven benefits at all.

7. Ubiquiste

Ubiquiste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      In France this medication has been officially authorized by the FDA equivalent for the indication "tinnitus of vascular origin". Like the Ginkgo Biloba (Tanakan). This authorization was removed in 2012. Many French people have taken this drug with varying results.

The laboratory that traded the original drug is French (Servier). This laboratory was involved in a judicial scandal related to its lobbying activity with French politicians. This lobbying would have kept ineffective and dangerous drugs on the market without scientific justifications.

8. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      My grandmother has taken Trimetazidine for 20 years and it was the only thing that made her tinnitus better. She takes it twice a day, and if she stos taking it, her tinnitus gets worse again.

9. Cankom

Cankom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced or Meniere's
      I was just prescribed it, alongside Sirdalud. The doctor was very optimistic about it. I will update in a month.

• Informative Informative x 1