Very Loud Fire Alarm. Feel Like I'm Back to Square One.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alue, Dec 19, 2018.

1. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      What's up nowaday? U good?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yesterday morning I was feeling a little better after a quiet weekend, but then I had a pretty loud day yesterday. Despite wearing earplugs my ears are spiking bad now.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      Same here... dunno why these things have started happening again and again but like u kno being at the wrong place wrong time and getting to hear these loud sounds.. ear ache, pain, dullness, ring ring. Just suckssss. Merry X-Mas tho 8) Hope you'll get noice presents

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Living with tinnitus is bloody torture, due to the sound in itself and the repeated noise incidents that might make it worse.

At this point, I can't do much save for offering my empathy, as a sufferer in arms. I've been fairly paranoid about something aggravating my condition, and yet it has happened to a few times by now. I used to be a dynamic person who had a social life and such, but living like that simple isn't possible any longer. I feel like one of those dinosaurs the scientists dig up - a creature that, for all practical purposes, is history.

The only thing that makes my life endurable is the insight that one it will actually be over.

One thing, though. I advice you to wear foam ear plugs at all times whenever you leave home. Properly inserted, they offer substantial protection, and you'll be able to hear what people say pretty well. Nothing else works against surprise incidents.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have developed a new fear. Fire alarms. Particularly in places where I wouldn't be wearing hearing plugs like hotels. I recently had someone who doesn't have T and H tell me they had an alarm go off in a hotel room and they make those things so painfully loud that there is no way you can stay in the room. I spend a lot of time in hotels with my job...

I know what you mean. I used to be a very adventurous person, now it's pretty much the opposite.

O' I wear them very often. I wear them enough that the inside of my ear canals get irritated and start to hurt from the friction of pulling them in and out. I have a hard time finding earplugs that fit me properly because I have very large ear canals and the smaller ones do not offer substantial protection.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      This happened to me whilst on honeymoon in Florida. I awoke at 2am to a noise unlike anything I had heard in years. I reached for some ear muffs but they hardly seemed to cut the noise at all. I got down by the bed and tried to get under it.

The noise lasted about 30 seconds, but it was awful.

When I complained the next morning, the owner of the hotel simply shrugged and smiled. I checked out immediately and we went elsewhere

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The problem is every hotel has these set to an ungodly decibel level by law.
      I know disabling or tampering with a fire alarm in a building is illegal, but what about just taping a piece of foam or napkin in front of the speaker while you are staying in the room? Would that be considered tampering with?

I did that with my carbon monoxide alarm at home and it actually brought the decibels down quite a bit while it's still more than loud enough to get my attention anywhere in the house.

8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I use the Howard Leight Max 1 for a larger ear canal. They also have a smooth coating to ease insertion and removal. I figure if they are marketed for those big headed construction guys, that should be enough for me.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't see an obvious speaker on my smoke alarm and on my carbon monoxide alarm at my home. Are you sure you are not taping that foam over the actual intake for the sensors?

I have an old memory foam pillow that I would love to tape over those alarms in hotel rooms, but I am not sure how it would be possible, as they are usually located on the ceiling.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think I've tried those, they are better but not as good as the hearos xtreme. But it seems like the quality of the hearos xtrems have gone down. I don't like the taper on the other ones, the pointy end with the flange. I don't know why my ear canals are so large, I'm not a huge guy, I guess I'm just oddly proportioned.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      For the CO alarm I'm pretty sure, but that's a good point, you don't want to tape over the sensor. I haven't done it for my fire alarm. I only have one in my house and it's centrally located at the top of a tall ceiling so it's not like my head will ever be right next to it if it ever goes off.

They usually are located either at the top of the wall or on the ceiling.

I've spent over 60 nights in hotels in 2018; no alarms yet, but this has become a new fear of mine.

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is now one of my fears... :)

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Every time you check out, you might want to ask the people at the reception about the last time they have had an alarm go off. You could record their answer and use them to estimate the probability of this happening...

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Maybe, but all it takes is some idiot smoking a blunt in their room.

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Perhaps it is a good idea to wear earplugs whenever one is inside of a hotel... It is the least one can do... You might also want to choose motels (where one can park outside the room) to hotels where one would have to walk down a long hallway and down stairs in order to get out (although the chance of someone smoking a joint might be higher at a motel).

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Nah, if I'm staying a lot of nights a year in a hotel I'm not going to get a crappy motel. I have platinum status with Marriott and often get upgraded to suites.

I don't think I would want to wear earplugs whenever in a hotel... I have to give my ears a break from earplugs sometimes.

17. LAnative
      Fine

LAnative Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      It's been 2 months since my tinnitus spiked from stupidly going to a concert. Huge spike. Didn't start coming down until 5 weeks later. I'm getting closer and closer to baseline, and still improving. I'm about 75% back to before the spike and still seeing improvement. Again, no improvement until 5 weeks after the event.

I would bet that you will get better. Stay positive.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I have not tried the Hearos Xtreme, but seems like their quality is variable at best these days. I also like the Moldex Meteors, but the taper makes them harder to insert for me, although also makes them more comfortable. I also recently tried the Mack's Ultra Soft, and found them quite comfortable, but have not tried them in noise quite yet, so not sure if they seal as well, but also like the nude color for more social situations to make them less noticeable.

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      That would be me (amongst others probably) ;)

What I don't understand is : let's say a balloon is 160dB. Let's say a gun is also 160dB. The gun is heard far, far away. Not the balloon. I guess dB (volume) and intensity (or whatever it is called) are two different things.

Anyway yes, a balloon popped near my ears exactly 3 years ago (in a closed car, that's important) and my life has never been the same since that (I had mild H and T before, it's severe now + I lost a lot more hearing).

20. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      How's your audiogram these days?

After years of hyperacusis I am losing hearing too

21. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Low frequencies are ok, medium are okayish and high not ok at -70dB.

I can hear my high pitched T loud and clear :D

22. Finnigan
      Stressed

Finnigan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Injury maybe

I’m so sorry to read this, I hope you filed for work comp to cover any new or additional med expenses. :)

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The spike from the fire alarm went away, but I'm posting here again to see if anyone has any ideas about hotel fire alarms. I spoke with someone else the other day that told me he was in a hotel fire alarm and it was painfully loud even after he put earplugs in. I spend so many nights in hotels that this has become a new fear of mine. They like to put those things right next to the bed. I know I cannot modify or disable them, that would be illegal, but is there anything else I can do? I wish there was something I could just put over it that would dampen the sound a little if it were to go off (I'm sure it would be plenty loud enough). I'm just afraid of one going off right over my head when I'm asleep. I don't need 120 decibels to wake me up.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am very glad to hear that it Can go away after one is exposed to a fire alarm.
      The only thing that comes to mind is using masking tape to tape a memory-foam pillow over it...

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      To be fair, I had hearing protection immediately available (plugs and earmuffs). If I didn't, I can't say what would happen. I was thinking the same thing, but would that be considered "modifying or tampering with"?
      I find it ridiculous how loud fire alarms are. It seems excessive to me, but nobody really cares or thinks about hearing loss.

26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Who cares - take it down before you check out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Happened to me a few years ago. In the middle of the night.. Was pissed, but fine.

• Informative Informative x 1
    28. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I am so glad to hear.

Great, now I have this fear, too. :)

I sleep with wax earplugs (NRR -30dB) every night. Hopefully they'll be a good first line of defense if a fire alarm ever happens.

Do you sleep in hearing protection? Might be a good idea in hotels from now on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      upload_2018-8-2_5-8-44-png.png

• Winner Winner x 1
    30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Could you please provide a link to where you got this from?

• Like Like x 1