Very Recent but Already Worried

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by feenix00, Jul 2, 2018.

1. feenix00
      Studious

feenix00 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hi everyone,

A little background: I'm a 26 year-old avid music listener and always have my bluetooth headphones (on-ear) with me, whether it's listening while walking, on the train, at uni while working, etc. But I'm not the type to listen to loud music at all (mostly classical, jazz, show tunes, traditional folk, etc), I would even go to say I've never been a fan of loud music. Just for extra info: lately I've been a bit stressed due to uni projects and getting less than 7 hours of sleep. I also haven't done a lot of exercise for many months. But at least I try to keep a healthy diet.

My case is very very recent: Last night I decided to set my alarm on my phone a little louder than usual because I have work today and afraid I might oversleep (fyi: my alarm is the type that's like a soft, relaxing music that gradually becomes louder. Sudden loud, blaring alarm clocks mean I would wake up in a bad mood). This morning I woke up with the alarm and hear this loud ringing in my ears. I thought it would fade away over a seconds like always, but it's been more than 10 hours since then and I can still hear it. (It feels just slightly louder on the right ear) I can still somewhat hear it when walking on the sidewalk with traffic so I'm not sure whether I'd call this a 'mild' case. So I got really anxious after doing a lot of research and finding out it could be chronic/permanent and possibly lead to hearing loss (I know I shouldn't be worried since it's not even been a day, but that's what googling stuff up can do to me). I was thinking if the ringing doesn't subside in a day or two, I'll make an appointment to go see an ENT doctor.

It's hard to imagine that the alarm clock that is only a little louder than usual could be the cause of this... It seriously isn't even that loud :( Yesterday I was enjoying my time, walking in an art gallery in complete silence and already missing that sound-less/calming atmosphere...

My conclusion for now: Despite my anxiety, I will try to remain busy/calm and keep living my life as normal as possible. I've read somewhere that Tinnitus is something one can live with even though it can be a bit bothersome. This makes me much calmer :) What I'm starting from today onwards is to go for a light jog every morning and evening as well as to go to sleep at 10 pm so I could wake up naturally without an alarm clock. Also won't be listening to music with any headphones/earphones, might take a book to occupy myself during my commute instead.

I know my case is incredibly recent, but because of immense worry from this morning, I thought I should introduce myself here to calm myself down further and feel a bit less alone on this. Thanks for anyone who read through this. If anyone has some other suggestions on how not to make this worse or to minimize this or just thoughts on the chance of whether this would subside on its own, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hey, firstly TRY and relax, I only know too well how difficult this is. Definitely keep your ear buds off and keep your ears away from any loud intrusive noise. If it’s still there in a few days, gonand speak to your GP but I’d say that this site will be more informative and packed with folk who understand your worries! There’s every chance it’ll go, just be kind to your ears! X

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      feenix00
      Studious

feenix00 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I'm definitely trying to stay calm and getting on with my day as normal as I can (even though I didn't get much sleep last night because I can hear it so clearly, especially on my right ear). Yes, definitely no headphones til then! I will be seeing my local ENT this week and fingers crossed it's nothing serious. Thanks for your words of encouragement! :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang on metal with a mallet
      God, there must be an ENT shortage in Sydney. Earliest appointment I could get was October 24th!

5. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I am a 2 time Tinnitus sufferer. Both times from acoustic trauma. I can guarantee you the acoustic shock my ears took were many times worse (in both decibels and length of exposure)than a loud alarm clock. The first time many years ago it took 2 years to fully fade, this time it has been 21 months and it is 90-95% faded.
      If you got your T from your alarm, you will be fine in a few weeks, it could also be from something else (new meds, diet change, ect)
      Most likely you will be fine if protect your ears from loud noise

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How loud was your exposure?

Tonight, I downloaded a dB meter app to recreate the circumstances of my incident three weeks ago. I got the hearing protection going (which I didn't have before). The mallet. Everything. Gave the garage rail a good whack, this time even harder than before, and...

79dB...

What the hell? I got T and H from a fraction of a second exposure to a reverberating metal clang that didn't even penetrate 80dB? I could have sworn it was like 120dB! It felt like a knife was shoved into my head during the initial incident. There must be something wrong, so I brought it inside to measure my stereo's output. I was thinking something was wrong with the app. But no, cranking the boombox up brought the app to 84dB. Clearly getting really loud sounds is hard to achieve unless you really, really try.

So, I dunno. Colour me surprised by that result.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      feenix00
      Studious

feenix00 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I also really hope that it's be nothing serious and that it'll fade over time. The alarm clock is seriously not loud. I used the decibel meter app on the phone to quickly check how loud it was.. it was just slightly above 82-85 dB and I immediately turned it off after 3-4 seconds or so.. which I doubt is a dangerous level at all. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing your experience and giving me some hope!

I also just tried using the app to measure how loud the alarm clock actually was (we probably were using the same app?). It measured to about 82-85 or so dB (and I only heard it for 3 secs). That doesn't too high at all, right? (not to mention how soft and relaxing my alarm clock sound actually is). But I'll keep you guys updated after I see my ENT, fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

Has your T ever gone down at all ever since you first got it?

8. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine seems to fluctuate. In a silent setting, one moment it's like a tuning fork, the next moment it's completely gone, and a moment later it's like a super high pitch CRT TV emission. I had a whole day last Friday where it seemed to be completely gone, but my mum's shreiking dog made sure that wouldn't last.

I suppose don't underestimate 80dB when up close... it's twice as loud as 70dB.

The app I downloaded is just called "Sound Meter".

9. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Unknown, but probably more than 95 dB for over 30 minutes with no protection

10. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      permissible exposure to 85dB is 8 hours (per OSHA)
      You'll be fine

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      feenix00
      Studious

feenix00 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I hope so. Although this morning I woke up feeling the Tinnitus is not as bad as yesterday. But worryingly, I can hear on the right side of my ear (the side that yesterday I also hear more ringing on) somewhat less than my left . I can tell just by hearing my own voice. Like it's a bit more muffled on the right side. This isn't normal, isn't it?

12. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      My trauma caused pain, fullness, sensitivity to noise/pressure, distorted sound and screaming loud Tinnitus.
      It all sorted itself out and faded to zero in time. (in my case 2 years!) and I have no hearing loss from it.
      IMO just give it time, don't let any ENT do any "procedures" just time and you will be fine
      PS...do not use headphones they are a major cause of T

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think the above proves that sometimes it doesn't take much to really hurt one's ears. After one's ears get compromised, it probably takes even less to cause more damage...

14. Emperor-Drax

Emperor-Drax Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see the word "compromised" used a lot here. I'm thinking that's only temporary? Not the remaining five decades of your lifetime? The human body is an otherwise efficient healing device. I mean women can also fully develop a new human being inside them for up to nine months.

15. Danikam
      Happy

Danikam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy/unknown
      Here's the best advice I can give you.....

It just happened, very likely it will resolve

Get off the forums and support boards, stop reading about it, researching it, and try and force yourself to not think about it.

Don't stick your fingers in your ears to look for it or go into quiet rooms to listen to it.

Get back to your life!

If it does stick around you can absolutely live a happy, normal life!!

I do!!!

I freaked out at first, became obsessed....

Now I don't give a flying f#ck about it!!

protect your hearing in situations that anybody should protect their hearing.

just get back to your life and stop thinking about worrying about and obsessing about tinnitus!!!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    16. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @feenix00,

First of all, I would say your prognosis for this to resolve itself is quite high. I do think there are things you can do or not do that will make those odds even higher. First, purchase yourself a good set of ear plugs. Ones that I recently purchased and that I like a lot is EAR PEACE. It has three different filters, so you can adjust how quiet you want things. And it's very comfortable, and can hardly be seen. You'll want to wear these in areas where there's the potential for sudden, unexpected loud noises--like sirens, etc.

In the category of what NOT to do. Don't automatically do or believe what your ENT tells you. For instance, he may suggest this test, or that test, or what not. Many on this forum have reported having their tinnitus/hyperacusis tragically and dramatically worsened by doing things suggested by their doctors. Of utmost importance to know: "Most" doctors know little to nothing about tinnitus. You'll likely learn more about tinnitus here on this forum than from your doctor.

If you are open to various alternative therapies, such as essential oils, massage, etc., I would recommend you follow up on any of them that could help the body and mind relax.

All the Best!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Nobody knows, and it probably differs from person to person. I know I read horror stories here about people who got their T back (years after T was gone for good) following being exposed to a harmless-sounding noise. It might be the case that only 1 in 10,000 is vulnerable like that. Or it could be 1 in 10.

18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What makes T an unusual condition is that many people don't seem to heal, or achieve only partial healing. The healing, if any, takes months or years...

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      feenix00
      Studious

feenix00 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! :) I went to see my ENT today and he said the exact same thing as you. Well, other than now realizing the T is on both sides instead of terrifying one-sided (after my ear is free from earwax lol..), I'm now coping much better than a few days ago. The ENT also said it is most likely due to stress for exams and continuing searching about T isn't going to make it any better. He said my T should disappear over time, but even if it doesn't completely go away completely, my T isn't so severe (and I'll try to keep it that way by taking extra care of it), I'm sure I can learn to live with it and get on with my life. I'm still thankful it isn't associated to hearing loss and I can still enjoy music from speakers and such :) :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      feenix00
      Studious

feenix00 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I went to see my ENT today and no, he didn't do any 'procedures' except for cleaning my ears (which was full of earwax - thus making it seem like T is louder than one ear - now it sounds equal on both) and checking my hearing (which appears perfect). He said it is most likely due to stress for uni / exams and lack of sleep and T should fade over time after the exam period. He also said it's okay to use headphones (over-ear ones) but I think I'll lay off it for another month or so or until T completely goes away (I'd rather be safe than sorry).

Thanks again for sharing your experience, I do hope my T will go away soon, but even if it doesn't completely, I think I could still live with it just fine (and make sure it doesn't worsen). If I'm engaging in conversations and keeping busy like today ,I don't even think about my T and I can only hear it properly when it's quiet (it fluctuates between loud and quieter at the moment, instead of steady tone like yesterday). Fingers crossed for a quieter future!