Wanted: Sound App for Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Harlan Stockman, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Harlan Stockman

Harlan Stockman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 20, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      whiplash / dental work
      Wanted: a special ear- noise cancellation system (maybe smartphone app) for pulsatile tinnitus. I am aware of commercial apps for regular tinnitus, and they generally don't work for pulsatile tinnitus.

The idea would be to measure your pulse, then fill in the time between pulses with a noise that varies in amplitude to fill in the gap, so all one "hears" is a constant brown noise. Each individual would adjust the "man-made" noise level to cancel out pulsations. Fitbits can record heartbeat and have some programming capability, and can transmit sound to headphones via bluetooth. The adjusted spectrum would be further overlain (buried) by a constant amplitude brown noise for good measure.

No profit or personal motive. My pulsatile tinnitus seems cured, but the stories of folks who haven't had good sleep for 4 years tear at my heart. Even though my pulsatile tinnitus was objective, I was always able to bury it with brown noise played through sleep-compatible earbuds.

These would NOT be like normal noise-cancellation headphones, which cancel sound from external sources. This would NOT be an audio notch-type program per se, as the pulse rate varies with time and the "fill-in" would have to be adjusted on the fly, from the latest pulse recorded.

Folks have built PhD theses on the development of ear-pulse measuring devices. It seems like this could be floated as a thesis topic. There was a time when I would have embarked on this myself, but I haven't programmed in years, and have no clue how one makes an app for a smartphone or fitbit

If this sort of app FOR PULSATILE TINNITUS exists, I'd like to hear about it. If you know of university folks who might take up the idea for a student thesis, that would be great.

Thanks